all posts post new thread

Old Forum Just starting out

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dc

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello everyone, I'm Dan from Australia 42yrs & relatively inactive for a few years. A friend gifted me pavels PTTP & ETK, a month ago when I said I needed to sort myself out. As I'm a beginner again I've been "practicing " swings,tgu & deadlifts , side presses, concentrating on form in swings, tgu & getting my full body tension right for deads & presses (as per PTTP). Iv really fallen in love with these 4 exercises, so my question is - can I do PTTP & ETK program minimum together while still a beginner? I understand as I progress this probably won't be possible, but I'm a little way off that yet(as still in practice mode). I've order s&s as well as foundation of strength DVD, so maybe it has a program including these 4 fantastic exercises together. Thanks for your time DC

Dan,

You may find your answer here: http://www.strongfirst.com/the-cost-of-adaptation/

Enjoy S&S through to the "Simple" goal and then train your DL an SP as you choose.

Shawn

Dan, welcome to StrongFirst.

I like your idea of practicing all these movements.  When you feel ready for a program, here are some things you should know, based on what materials you have.

The Program Minimum in ETK has been superseded the newer book/DVD entitled, Kettlebell Simple & Sinister.  Going from that program to the Rite of Passage in ETK is still a solid idea.  S&S is the Program Minimum revisited, changed and improved.

Both PTTP and S&S are designed to be done by themselves for a while - at least until a certain level of achievement is reached.

I recommend you purchase S&S, follow that program, reach the Simple goal that's clearly stated in it, and then come back here to plan your next move.  PTTP is another program you could start with, also designed to be done every day or nearly so.

It is possible, once a certain level of skill is reached, to do things like follow the Rite of Passage as your primary program and do S&S or PTTP, scaled back in both volume and intensity, as a Variety Day activity.  Better, though, is to do the movements from those program and simply treat them as practice without a specific goal - that's what Variety days are about.

Clear as mud? :)

-S-

Shawn thanks for taking the time help. That's a great article, I've read it twice already & I think I'll be revisiting it many times in the future. I'm going to keep practicing with my current exercises until my copy of s&s arrives, then I'll concentrate on reaching the simple goal as advised. Once reached I'll revise talk to you guys & see whats next.

Steve i appreciate your time thanks very much. I've been reading topics of interest throughout the forum & your advice has been inspirational. I've ordered s&s aswell as the foundation DVD. I'm going to do as advised & follow s&s till the simple goal is reached ( although I will miss the DL & SP for a while). I'll keep you guys updated as I go, & would look forward to your input in the future. One last thing Steve, I too have had a back injury eerily similar to yours. Mine was in my late 20s, & from my experience of getting myself mobile again, I can honestly say you truly are an inspiration. I hope I too can aspire to your lofty heights. Thanks for giving me a new perspective of what can be reached. Yours in strength & perseverance dc.

luckily I'm fluid in mud

Dan,

I'm really glad that you enjoyed the article. To be honest, I feel it is one of Pavel's best as the advice given could serve many people quite well if they employed the approach to their life/training.

All the best,

Shawn

Dan, thank you very much for your kind words, and best of luck to you.  You know where to find me if you need me.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom