all posts post new thread

Old Forum KB Muscle (Neupert) program and weight selection

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

djm75

First Post
I apologize if this is a duplicate, but I'm starting the KB Muscle program next week and I've got a somewhat unique problem.  I'll likely be near Rogue, which is where I get my KBs from, this weekend and I'll be starting the program next week.  I've got a 12k, 24k, 28k, anda  40k.  I can press, one handed, the 24k for about 9 reps on each side.  However, thats an all out max from before I recently had a hernia repair (6 weeks out and cleared by Dr to proceed).

I want to purchase what I need while I'm there because the shipping, as you know, is killer at some points.  My thought was to double up on the 24k, and purchase two 20k bells to work the program with to start.  However, I'm almost afraid this is too ambitious and with the recovery I want to make smart progress (so far no complications/discomfort even with 322 hex deads for reps).  Any guidance would be very helpful.  Thanks in advance.

The guideline in the book, a weight you can double MP for 10 reps, is a good one. For most people, this will be lighter than what they can single MP for 10 reps; for some people it will be much lighter (in my experience, overhead mobility is a big factor here).

The best way to choose is to actually test. If you can single MP 24kg for 9 reps, you can probably do the program with 20s.

In one of his email newsletters, Geoff also suggested a plan to break into using a pair of bells that are a little too heavy, so if 20s are a little too much, you might try it:
"Keep the sets of KM the same for the
first 5-6 weeks.

Use the following rep scheme:

Week 1: 3 reps
Week 2: 4 reps
Week 3: 5 reps
Week 4: 4 reps
Week 5: 5 reps
Week 6: Off
Week 7: Break into true KM."

I don't know what the KB Muscle complex is, but I've been doing "The Wolf" from More Kettlebell Muscle, and Geoff recommends using a pair you can press for ten for it as well.  I can press a pair of 24's 12-15 times, but I need to use the 20's during the conplex.  It's a bit long, and my endurance drains.  24's are totally ok for shorter complexes (ie 5x swing, press, squat).

Mid you're going to be there, I'd recommend getting the 20's and another 24 as well if yoi have the funds.  The 20's have been invaluable for me with these complexes, and the 24's are perfect for straight strength work.

I did Kettlebell muscle a year or two ago with double 20kg. Right now I can double military press 2 24kg for probably 15-16 reps and I'm not sure that I could do KB muscle with 2 x 24kg. Using Steve W's excellent advice, you could probably start with double 20's. But if cost isn't an issue, there's no shame in using double 16's.

And don't be fooled by the first workout, I was able to do it with double 24's, but quickly realized that I needed to drop to double 20's. The workload really adds up. Good luck, let us know what you decide and how it worked for you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom