all posts post new thread

Old Forum KB Tennis Workout

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
S&S. The frequency would depend on whether or not you are playing and practising tennis regularly. The swing has large carry over to any sport, esp explosive sports. The get up can be used as a strength focus but for tennis players, or any racquet sports, being unilateral would help balance out and/or identify any asymmetries.

Pre season the rop from etk. Probably too much if playing tennis competively. The snatch would be ideal for serving strength, power and elastic energy, aswell as conditioning. Think it would largely depend on how much tennis you are playing or not playing. S&S though definitely, designed as it by Pavel to be used pre or alongside any sport specific training. I know Andy Murray chucks in some 400m sprint repeats at the end of his strength sessions.  unless your competing in this years wimbledon you may not need or want to collapse in a heap after a hard day at work. So why complicate things? S&S gets my vote.

I agree with everything Alistair said.  S and S is perfect, and ROP would be awesome in the off season, otherwise the volume and snatches could pose some shoulder trouble.

I've tried to get my dad on S and S in the past year or two, but he hasn't jumped on it.  He's been playing tennis for almost 50 years.  Played in college and routinely plays with guys half his age.  Thankfully he did take to the kettlebells a few years ago.  I think he hasn't tried S and S because he likes the first set up I gave him.  It's just an easy strength approach with goblet squats, clean and presses (usually 3 ladders of 2, 3, 5 or 1, 2, 3, 4), swings and pullups (he uses one of the machines that makes him a little lighter, but he loves the neutral grip pull ups).  He's been injury free since he started, and he used to often have nagging upper neck issues and semi-frequent adductor strains.  So maybe it's the bells?

Still, I think S and S is the absolute best route to go.  It covers everything.

I play cricket (baseball ish) at weekends and train once or twice a week depending on work. After 6 or 7 years of kb training ive found swings and tgus 3 x week in season is my sweet spot. About 5 years ago I was working through ROP but had to stop in season due to elbow soreness when throwing, i reverted back to pm and all was fine. Ive also tried continuing KB strong and One with 24s into my season and completed the season but on evaluation it was one day too many days, just Strong (3 days) might work but i like having some conditioning in my programme.This year ive continued S&S (40kg), but cut back to 3 days with a days rest in between and feel great on matchday (Saturday). This really feels like a sweet spot for me, (i also have 2 kids , one is 4 months old so sleep is also a factor). Once my season is over Ill go back to s&s almost everyday. S&s also gives me more agility during my in season over KB Strong, which is probably obvious to the experts on here. Just my own findings by trial and error.

Check out the 9 lb. bells from Rogue if kettlebells are a must: http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-kettlebells

If they're not, a few 4 kg shot puts would be better, just over three inches in diameter.

Load them into your ball machine and hit 'em as hard as you can.  You'll probably need to restring your racquet from time to time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom