all posts post new thread

KB training with plate inside wrist - safe?

Anucan

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello everyone,

I’m wondering if anyone here has also broken their wrist and had surgery to have a plate installed? I got into a motorcycle crash in 2015 and had this surgery done on my distal radius. Sometimes while doing heavy dynamic kettlebell work I asked myself if I’m being safe.

i wish I could ask a doctor, but doctors in general don’t have the experience with weights to even understand the question . I hope someone on here has had a similar experience and can share their thoughts

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 9
As offwidth states, a medical opinion is needed and the medical opinion might need some biomechanist help. You want to find someone who is used to treating athletes rather than sedentary people. Also, you might get a better answer if you can phrase your question about safety in terms of risk ie negligible, low, medium or high risk. Medicos tend to be very risk averse in answering such questions as if the say it safe or OK and their is some unforseen problem it can come back at them and their insurers. It can be easier to say don't do it. However, you should be able to find someone who can give you a more informed opinion.

Given you had the surgery done in 2015, nearly a decade ago, and have been training with kbells for some time and state no pain in wrist\hand\forearm it sounds like you have tested the application of force to your wrist for quite some time.

Sharing similar experiences may not help much as they can seem similar when they are like applies and pears.

I got into KB after having a partial fusion of my right wrist, still have 3 cap screws in there. It should be fine, the hardware was only there to stabilize things until it could set. As I understand it, if the bone doesn't heal the hardware will fail at some point from your day to day.

You should be fine.

i wish I could ask a doctor, but doctors in general don’t have the experience with weights to even understand the question
You might start by contacting your surgeon. See him again and/or ask for a recommendation.

-S-

Check out the kettle guard if pressure on the wrist in an issue or just to start without pressure on the area.

Back
Top Bottom