all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Strong question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

Since the program is on sale and I'm about to order it, I have a few questions.
1. Since I bring two bells with me on the road to do S&S, can Strong and/or One be feasably done while traveling?
2. How would Strong/One be implemented in 'things are going so well for me, let me screw it up'?

Strong! uses two matched bells. Combining it with the "One" program has never made any sense to me. When you're training for strength - train for strength. Don't water it down with conditioning.

I did Strong! with double 32s which I had never done more than 1 C&P rep with. I probably could have managed two reps, but I never tried.* By the end I was doing many sets of triples with those bells, and doing so made the cert stuff pretty light by comparison. I did a snatch test right before I started the Strong! program - 4+40. I did ZERO ballistics, no cardio, no swings, no sweating, no conditioning of any kind for the 8 weeks of the program. When I got done, I did another snatch test - 4+45.

Increasing strength is its own brand of conditioning, at least until you get so dang strong that further increases require a conscious decision to specialize only in strength. Work capacity works the same way and is easily demonstrated with a thought experiment: Bob has a best 1-arm press of 40 kilos. Tom has a best 1-arm press of 28 kilos. Who can do more press reps (more work capacity) with a 24? Obviously, the same holds true for any lift. So, if you drive your maximal strength up by spending a good long time focusing on it, everything you do with a lighter weight will be easier, more "sub maximal". This equals greater endurance.

So, yes you can do it with 2 matched bells on the road, and for the reasons I stated, do the conditioning component some other time. I'd wager you'll be quite surprised how tenaciously your current conditioning level stays put while you do.

* This is NOT what is recommended in the program, but I don't regret starting heavier than recommended.

Hunter, you are referring to the article co-authored with Dan John? It looks like it would go under "lesson 4: double kettlebells". It would go where total tension complex or return of the kettlebell are.

Bill, I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of "Strong". I found I got a good conditioning effect from it simply by shortening the rest periods. Upon reaching phase two where the volume increases and rest periods are kept at a minimum kind of gives it all to you.

I've run phase one in the past and never took over 20 min in a workout. Just curious if anyone tried with long rest and how it worked for them. I'm gtg the ROP now and that is insanely effective, but the volume is also higher than in strong.

Mike Moran is spot on regarding phase two....yes, food is a necessity. High volume clean and presses will make you crave a good bit of protein!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom