all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kettlebell swings and the lower back

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

1toughjew

Level 1 Valued Member
For some reason, I'm beginning to notice very minor low back tightness following a set of one arm kettlebell swings.  At least to my knowledge, and what I focus on throughout the set, I'm hinging at the hips, looking straight ahead, focusing on a powerful glute contraction, and not letting the bell rock me off balance.  Still, I'm noticing this slight problem, if it could even be called such.

I'm currently using a 28 kg bell, and the two arm swing does not seem to engage my glutes and hammies enough (my inner thighs seem to stop my arms short from allowing my glutes to get a decent "pre-contraction" stretch, thus preventing a powerful glute cramp).

Perhaps is just the static contraction of the lower back muscles acting as stabilizers that's causing the tightness.  I just wanted to be sure this will not prevent me from reaching my full potential on the swing, and eventually the snatch, as well as not cause injury later on.

Thoughts?

Brandon, this can happen if you aren't fully locking out your swings.  Make sure you are really firing your abs as well as your glutes and hammies at the top of your swing.   Practice the movement without weight, and also try it with lighter weights.   I have my theories about why this happens - see if you can make it _not_ happen by doing some swings with a lighter bell, and then see if you can keep the same lockout with your current work weight.

Probably a good idea to take a few days off or easy at this point in your training - you can always ramp it up again.  Be sure to do some lower back stretching, too.

Last but not least, post a video clip here taken from the side or, even better, work with an SFG in person.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom