all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebells and Fencing

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I just wanted to log here that from my own anecdotal experience over the past while the one arm kettlebell swing does wonders for my fencing. This is clear because when I stop doing the swings for a few weeks, my fencing suffers.

Why? It has to do with the anti-twist element of kettlebells but also the muscular-endurance aspect. Basically in fencing you have to keep your upper body more or less stiff while you need to move your sword arm a lot. Moving your sword arm a lot puts a lot of strain on your anti-rotational strength chain. Back in the old days it was recommended to swing big two handed swords around to develop the right kind of strength for fencing with single handed swords, but really any kind of anti-twist muscular endurance activity ought to do the trick, including kettlebells.

What sort of annoys me is that it does not seem possible to be able to fence without supplementary strength training, although I suppose this is nothing out of the ordinary.

Be much safer, the tip of the bell is flat. But you’d have to get much much closer. Great shoulder workout too.

Seriously though, I haven’t done single arm swings in a long time, a year at least, and you’ve reminded me of the benefits of them.

What sort of annoys me is that it does not seem possible to be able to fence without supplementary strength training, although I suppose this is nothing out of the ordinary.
I classically fenced foil and épée many decades ago (prior to me playing Kendo). Granted I was much younger, but I don‘t recall any limitations based on strength. (plenty of other limitations…) This was never brought up by any of our coaches either. One of whom was once on the Italian national team. He was fond of saying something along the lines of… “a hand of steel on a rubber arm”

That being said… I can see that the right supplementary weight training is only going to be a bonus, even if only from an injury prevention perspective.

Based on what you said. I would think 1 arm snatches would have a strong carry over. Or jerks. Any experience with these and fencing?

I am just curious. When training fencing, do you use only one sword hand or do you switch hands?

I have also actually thought it about javelin and shot put etc too. If you train and practice all the time only with your stronger hand, doesn´t it create big imbalances?

I am just curious. When training fencing, do you use only one sword hand or do you switch hands?

I have also actually thought it about javelin and shot put etc too. If you train and practice all the time only with your stronger hand, doesn´t it create big imbalances?
Specialization, such as a sport, creates these imbalances, especially when physical training is not used to balance out.

Boxing, and I reckon most other forms of striking, is quite one-sided. I’ve personally witnessed the imbalances it creates in my own body.

An ice hockey player I know had a big imbalance in his torso lateral flexion, with a tendency to lean to the stick side.

Looking at professional tennis players one can see muscular imbalances between their racquet-holding arm and the other arm.

I would also imagine many soccer players not exactly having the best balance between lower and upper body strength.

One hand / arm. And the same leading leg.

It's about being able to last longer in training and to have to take fewer or no breaks.
The kettlebell swings also train the legs and hips. Definitely good stuff, although I suppose most anything would be good in some way or other!
The unbalanced development of the body in fencing is a much remarked upon problem with the sport. Balanced weight training must help correct the imbalances.

I should add that historical fencing has become huge over the past 10-15 years, so there are plenty of historical fencers who are indeed using the off-hand for lots of things, and are also using heavier swords than in classical fencing.

I do both kinds of fencing, and also kendo, which is Japanese style fencing with something representing the katana.

Of course the most important solo exercise for fencing is footwork, since 99% of what you are doing is gaining an advantageous position on your opponent via very precise and timely footwork.

It's about being able to last longer in training and to have to take fewer or no breaks.
The kettlebell swings also train the legs and hips. Definitely good stuff, although I suppose most anything would be good in some way or other!
The unbalanced development of the body in fencing is a much remarked upon problem with the sport. Balanced weight training must help correct the imbalances.

I should add that historical fencing has become huge over the past 10-15 years, so there are plenty of historical fencers who are indeed using the off-hand for lots of things, and are also using heavier swords than in classical fencing.

I do both kinds of fencing, and also kendo, which is Japanese style fencing with something representing the katana.
he anti-twist element and muscular endurance gained from these exercises likely contribute to your ability to maintain stability in your upper body while executing swift movements with your sword arm. It's interesting to hear about the historical recommendations for developing this kind of strength for fencing. Overall, it's great that you've found a method that works well for you and helps you maintain your skills.

Back
Top Bottom