all posts post new thread

La Sierra Fitness Standards

Not to take things too far off topic, but there was a great "Breakthrough Secrets" podcast with Gray Cook (#52) where he was talking about teaching PE classes and the big differences between working with children to build a lifelong love of fitness and adults.

I'd link it, but it looks like the podcast has been deleted. Too bad since it had a ton of great episodes.

Not to take things too far off topic, but there was a great "Breakthrough Secrets" podcast with Gray Cook (#52) where he was talking about teaching PE classes and the big differences between working with children to build a lifelong love of fitness and adults.

I'd link it, but it looks like the podcast has been deleted. Too bad since it had a ton of great episodes.
I remember that one too. Thats a bummer they took all that down.

Did find this one. Not as detailed towards the protocols if i remember the old one right though.

Lately, I find myself thinking about the La Sierra fitness standards.

At some point in the future, I may add in a recurring cycle working on these calisthenics goals.

Level 1 Standards:

View attachment 24264* Man Lift and Carry is carrying a individual about the same weight as you on your back while you walk the required distance: I would use a ruck sack with my weight in it

Level 2 Standards:

View attachment 24265
* Extension Pushups are Lalanne Pushups

Level 3 Standards:

View attachment 24266

I wouldn't mind building up to the level 3 standards once or twice a year.

By that I mean that my score on each test would fall somewhere between the minimum and ceiling performance at the end of the cycle.

What are your thoughts about these tests?

Most importantly, how would you choose to train to meet the standards?
Ha! I graduated From La Sierra

When I first heard of La Sierra some years ago, I did some Googling and a lot of reading. Here are a few items I recall that might interest some of you. This program had nationwide attention. It was featured in popular, weekly national magazines. One night on his Tonight Show, Johnny Carson featured a bunch of kids from La Sierra doing their exercises. There is/was a clip of that on YouTube. While La Sierra's pe program was cresting, the Kennedys were championing physical fitness, including the claim that an army officer should be able to walk 50 miles in one day. Bobby Kennedy, with no prep, wearing his dress shoes, and casual clothes (no athletic wear industry back then) did it on a whim walking along highways in Delaware. He even showed up at work the next day and wasn't too sore. The origin of the La Sierra program was based on Stan Perotti's military experience and was intended to help produce young people fit for the service. Ironically, in the early-mid 60s, the Vietnam War resulted in increasing numbers kids refusing to participate in Perotti's regimen at La Sierra.

including the claim that an army officer should be able to walk 50 miles in one day. Bobby Kennedy, with no prep, wearing his dress shoes, and casual clothes (no athletic wear industry back then) did it on a whim walking along highways in Delaware.
That’s quite a difficult task, recreationally or “kitted out.” There’s a march/memorial in Netherlands called Nijmegen where you ruck 100 miles in 4 days and it is brutal.

I have my doubts that Bobby did that.

...including the claim that an army officer should be able to walk 50 miles in one day.
Interesting information!
This is the first I heard of the hike, but I wouldn't mind working up to it as a three day goal :
Screenshot_20240325_220652_DuckDuckGo.jpg

A 24 minute (no gear) mile is really slow, so it doesn't seem too bad as a 3-day hike.
That’s quite a difficult task, recreationally or “kitted out.” There’s a march/memorial in Netherlands called Nijmegen where you ruck 100 miles in 4 days and it is brutal.
Yikes!

Interesting information!
This is the first I heard of the hike, but I wouldn't mind working up to it as a three day goal :
View attachment 24372

A 24 minute mile is really slow, so it doesn't seem too bad as a 3-day hike.

Yikes!
50 miles in 3 days is MUCH more reasonable. That is somewhere between "easy backpacking trip" and "hauling tail cause the 'squatch is on your trail."

Obviously not kitted out with a heavy pack or anything like that, but 100mi ultras in 24hrs are pretty commonplace (relatively speaking)

Back
Top Bottom