all posts post new thread

Old Forum Latest of the greatest T-nation articles.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rickard

Level 5 Valued Member
Always try to post the best ones here for everyone benefit, alot of the material on the site isn't amazing but some articles are worth the read, here are some:

http://www.t-nation.com/training/turning-pro-7-mind-hacks

Charles Staley article along the line of the thread "10 habits of sucessful people" that was posted by Dan John.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/superhuman-planks

Dean Somerset about planks, really liked it.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/kickstand-back-squats

Max Shank article that I don't know what to think about actually, I don't think I am at a level where I can digest this information properly.

The "kickstand" squat strikes me as a variation of Bryce Lane's "B Squat."

Instead of elevating one leg on a plate, the B Squat uses a slightly staggered stance. A good starting point is a relatively narrow foot spacing, with the  "working" foot pointed straight ahead and "support" foot turned out about 45 degrees, with the support foot toe in line with the working foot heel (but really, both legs are working). When you squat down, the working foot will remain flat and you roll up onto the ball of the support foot.

Unfortunately, Bryce Lane's website where he explained the B Squat, with diagrams and photos appears to be gone.

Based on the video, the "kickstand" squat seems designed to be more of a single leg variation that allows you to go heavier, whereas the B Squat is more of a variation of a two-legged squat. However, it strikes me that the B Squat version has more room for error in terms of balance, stability and alignment.

I liked Charles Staley's article a lot. Sometimes t-nation has good articles but you need to be patient looking for them. Thank you for posting, Rickard.

Thank you Andrew, I also liked the Staley article.

I actually like looking through the articles on t-nation and other sites that greatly differ from Pavels and Dan Johns ideas on training. It's stupid to just sit and read stuff that confirmes your views, gets a bit too much of a cult if everyone does that. There was an article where they wrote on the little evidence that actuallt supports spot reducing and pointed out that it has been used by many of the greatest bodybuilders. It's always great when one can read and think it might be survivorship bias and not something that works. But my views temporarily gets challenged. I had a friend who told me that if you have never doubted God you can't believe in him.

This is also one of the reasons I like this community. Cause IT DEPENDS alot of times. No one true answer for the most of the time. The community is united through its diversity. One of my favorite posters is Steve Mathews for the fact that his training is very diffrent that the average guy here thus his responses and questions too.

Sadly I think there are quite a few places on the internet that doesn't understand us. StrongFirst is confused with strong only. I've been thinking on this latley and the simple fact that the most change you can do in an athlete in little time is making him strong(er) and that strength is the most dominant quality. It is easy for everyone to see but once you say it people start looking sideways on you. What about everything else they say? And I haven't disagreed. Not once. Everything else has it's place. But one needs priority.

Good post, Rickard.

My general strategy is, whenever I think I know something, turn around and seek out the best counterevidence or counterargument.  Sometimes I gain certainty,  sometimes I have to live with unresolved cognitive dissonance, and my favorite outcome is when I change my mind.

If there is anything opposite of StrongFirst, it's spot-reducing.  I see zero real-world evidence of it and it makes no sense biologically.  Plus it reeks of squandered effort.  Still, Denise Austin is mesmerizing.

Another really solid <a title="article" href="http://www.t-nation.com/training/9-tricks-for-consistent-workouts">article</a> by Charles Staley. I'm liking a lot of his recent stuff, some good reads.

Staley is a genius.  One of the best things you can do with double kettlebell is his Escalated Density Training.  You'll get strength, volume and conditioning.  It seems so easy at first until you are 2 weeks in and have to beat your reps from the last time.

There is a lot of good stuff there once you get past the snake oil articles and the dude making funny faces doing swings with a belt...

Staley is a genius.  One of the best things you can do with double kettlebells is his Escalated Density Training.  You'll get strength, volume and conditioning.  It seems so easy at first until you are 2 weeks in and have to beat your reps from the last time.

There is a lot of good stuff there once you get past the snake oil articles and the dude making funny faces doing swings with a belt...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom