all posts post new thread

Old Forum Ledge/Fingertip Pullups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jca17

Level 5 Valued Member
At home I only have a doorway pull-up bar, meaning I can't do the full hollow position tactical pull-up without touching the ground. However, I do have a staircase to a basement area with a ledge above it. In Naked Warrior, Pavel mentions that he trained fingertip pull-ups from a ledge as a young man. What kind of grip would one use for this? Only he can answer specifically for his case, but in general, are we talking about curling the fingers and supporting your weight literally on fingertips, perpendicular to the surface? Or are the fingers flat (kind of like a pinch grip position but with the thumb obviously free) with the whole length of the finger pressing on the surface? I can do the latter, but maybe there is a progression to the fingertip version that I should work towards.

It seems like going on the pads of the fingers would be really had for the knuckles and hyperextend them. I also sometimes use flat fingers but wedge the "callous row" onto the surface, rather than just the fingers themselves being on the surface.

Should I be training for a fingertip grip somehow? And is the flat finger approach safe for the joints of the finger or might I be hyperextending them? If not, it actually seems like its a good grip to work some different muscles then the crush we use on kettlebells all the time and stretch out the fingers.

Hi Jca17,

Don't know what Pavel used as a kid, but I do fingertip pull ups. It really is dependent on the depth of the ledge as to how much of your fingers are going to be on the ledge. In my case, the depth is to the first joint of four fingers, thumbs free. A slow progressive approach is what I use and advise. Strengthening the tendons and ligaments takes much longer than increasing muscle strength. So my advise is take it slow.

At first make sure that the fingers are pressed closely together so they act as one finger. After some practice you can spread them apart.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom