all posts post new thread

Leg Amputee training

Drjfmccarthy

Level 2 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I've got a patient who's a single leg, below the knee amputee and is interested in kettlebell training. Does anyone have experience/insights on adapting any of the 6 KB lifts/training to an amputee? Thanks in advance.

Just a general question as I've never touched a kettlebell and have all four limbs. An amputee isn't going to benefit from irradiation right, as the musculature from the amputated portion of the limb can't assist with any lift. So does that mean that typical compound exercises in a normally limbed person will perform like more isolation exercises for an amputee? Am I making sense?

I've got a patient who's a single leg, below the knee amputee and is interested in kettlebell training. Does anyone have experience/insights on adapting any of the 6 KB lifts/training to an amputee? Thanks in advance.
I have no direct experience but just a couple of questions driven out of curiosity…

Do they use a prosthesis whilst training?
What is their overall fitness and training background?

Reminds me of someone that trained at the Crossfit gym I used to go to years ago. War related IED double above knee amputee, missing some of his fingers on one hand and other bits and pieces damaged or missing that I probably couldn't see.

He always drove to the gym, put on some stubby legs, trained hard, swapped his legs back, drove home.

Did make you think twice before moaning about a sore shoulder!

Last edited:
@Karen Smith may have some great ideas here as she has been working with the Adaptive Training Foundation for a while now.

@Drjfmccarthy, Karen said she needs to reset her password here, but meantime she'd be happy to chat with you via email, karensmithmsfg and then add @gmail.com (I'm just breaking up the email address to prevent spam)

Back
Top Bottom