all posts post new thread

Old Forum Lifting with your eyes closed - any basis that this might work?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lehrskov

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I train alone and with no-one to correct my beginners technique.

Mirrors, videotaping etc. works, but lately I've 'discovered' something that I wanted to get this forums opinion: lifting with my eyes closed.

For me it seems to have 2 distinct advantages:

1) It's harder, so a little like bench pressing from the floor (where legs are out of the game) taking your eyes out of the equation makes the body 100% dependent on the inner ear, which tends to destabilize the body, thus forcing you to tense more to lift the same weight. Your form should also deteriorate rapidly where it is already weak, making your flaws stand out more clearly. At least this is my theory.

2) Since you have nothing to look at, your brain is now 'freed up' to focus on how the body actually _feels_ as the lift is being made, so not only does your weaknesses 'flare up', you are actually also able to pay attention to them. So proprioception is sharpened.

For me this has been an across-the-board improver on my technique, especially in back squats, swings and the TGU. I usually do the warm-up sets eyes-shut and maybe a few of the lighter/less intense work sets.

Anyone have any experience with this or are able to debunk it/back it up with actual knowledge?

Thanks for a great forum

/Ulrik

Hello Ulrik Lehrskov,

Pavel talks about this in Beyond Bodybuilding - an excellent book that I'd recommend to anyone interested in training!

I think the recommendation is that a blindfold is a better idea than closing your eyes.

For what it's worth, I'm of the opinion that mirrors do more harm then good. If you're concerned about your form then I suggest having someone look at you or just video it.

Good luck.

Ulrik, Russian scientists found out that closing your eyes was distracting and recommended blindfolds.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom