all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Low vs. High Endurance Lifters

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

strengthchamo

Level 2 Valued Member
How does one determine whether they are a high or low endurance lifter?

I tested my 1RM for the KB Press and pressed the 32Kg 3 times. That approximately puts my max at 36kg. Since 32KG is 88.9% of my 1RM, does that put me in the low endurance lifter catergory? Thank you in advance.

The easiest way to tell if you're a high or low endurance lifter is to grab 80% of your 1RM, and your 1RM would be close to ~34kg, not 36kg. 80% of this would be 27.2kg, but we can round that to 28kg for the closest kettlebell. Then test your max reps. 6 or less is low endurance and 7 or higher is high endurance.

If this is your 1st time programming this lift via Planstrong, I would assume you are low endurance. Give it a month and you can always change it for the next cycle. Ease into it. Also, if 1st time, be reasonable with the volume.

Remember that as you get stronger yiu will either need to add volume or Intensity or both (long term). So start with a MED (minimum effective dose), or 1 day, years from, your programming will need to be very complicated to continue progressing on that lift.

This is my opinion. I think Strongfirst would agree. When I took the class on PGH in 2016, I remember Pavel and Fabio describing the volume as "strong medicine"... Meaning use it, until you need it (else it may become the new homeostasis)... these are my words/interpretation. More and more and more would be required to induce a stress response.

Eric

is it possible to be low endurance lifter for one lift and a high endurance lifter for another lift? I'm guessing there will be a trend towards one end with upper body vs lower body lifts.

is it possible to be low endurance lifter for one lift and a high endurance lifter for another lift? I'm guessing there will be a trend towards one end with upper body vs lower body lifts.

Yes, probably. For example, compare the deadlift to the bicept curl. At 80% 1RM, I assume virtually everybody could handle more volume with the bicept curl vs the deadlift. Right?

Regards,

Eric

Yes it is possible. My lifts work like that. Low endurance on bench and dl, high endurance for the squat and kb press

The easiest way to tell if you're a high or low endurance lifter is to grab 80% of your 1RM, and your 1RM would be close to ~34kg, not 36kg. 80% of this would be 27.2kg, but we can round that to 28kg for the closest kettlebell. Then test your max reps. 6 or less is low endurance and 7 or higher is high endurance.
Thank you so much. This definitely helps.

If this is your 1st time programming this lift via Planstrong, I would assume you are low endurance. Give it a month and you can always change it for the next cycle. Ease into it. Also, if 1st time, be reasonable with the volume.

Remember that as you get stronger yiu will either need to add volume or Intensity or both (long term). So start with a MED (minimum effective dose), or 1 day, years from, your programming will need to be very complicated to continue progressing on that lift.

This is my opinion. I think Strongfirst would agree. When I took the class on PGH in 2016, I remember Pavel and Fabio describing the volume as "strong medicine"... Meaning use it, until you need it (else it may become the new homeostasis)... these are my words/interpretation. More and more and more would be required to induce a stress response.

Eric
I appreciate the advice, I will definitely keep this in mind when programming.

Question, why would my 1RM be closer to ~34kg? Since I pressed the 32kg 3x's, wouldn't the math to find out my 1RM be (32/.875)=36.5 ~37. & on the higher end (32/.9)=35.5~36?

I think it’s interesting to note that if your 1RM is on the conservative side - maybe because the form was pristine perfect when you did your 1RM or you didn’t resort to artificial methods to psyche yourself up - that can also make you more of an endurance lifter in terms of the numbers.

It’s also interesting to note that "meatheads" and hardcore strength athletes are exactly the type of people who would be willing to compromise slightly on form and psyche themselves up for their 1RM lift, so that could be a contributing factor in determining that they lean more towards the low endurance side.

Question, why would my 1RM be closer to ~34kg? Since I pressed the 32kg 3x's, wouldn't the math to find out my 1RM be (32/.875)=36.5 ~37. & on the higher end (32/.9)=35.5~36?
@strengthchamo I'm not quite sure where you're getting 87.5% or 90%. If you plug your 3RM into any 1RM calculator online they'll give you ~34kg as your 1RM. You could also check a 1RM estimation chart, and I believe almost all of them have a 3RM as 93% of your 1RM. So 32kg/0.93 = 34.4kg.

@Everyone: great discussion and great insights here!

Yes!

Very good points!
Actually, beginners in the iron game are usually high endurance. However, it's advisable to use the low endurance table in the first plans as the MED principle delivers and keeps one away from potential side effects (burn-out or, worse, injuries).

Yes, it's possible and very likely. Usually the RM @ a given %1RM is higher in the SQ and various forms of rows, lower in the DL, and often times even lower in the BP and the MP. But it varies a lot from person to person.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom