all posts post new thread

Old Forum Made a Beast Kettlebell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Years ago I drilled and tapped the bottom with 1/2 in bolts. you could add plates, chains and bands. Pretty fun.

Cool article and good comments on self-reliance.  Kettlebells do cause male-pattern baldness.

Some entrepreneur will create a kettlebell that's a solid empty shell; add weight with 5 lb. plates or lead.

Traditional bells can be modified by having a machinist cut the bottoms off somewhere below the equator.  Make the bell heavier again by gluing and duct taping 7.5 or 10 lb. plates to the bottom.  Expensive,  but the bell is semi-adjustable.

I thought they caused male pattern strongness.  The baldness I got from my folks.

Years ago I had a 28k bell drilled and tapped for a #11, 1/2 inch bolt along the equator, under the handles.  It was awkward, but I could add weight and clean and jerk it.

Dan, now that I have a beast, come show me how you press, pistol, and pullup with it!  I've jerked it a couple of times, and bent pressed it, but for now, it's just swinging.  I've done several sets of 5 swings, and soon I'll start incorporating it into my S&S swinging, beside the 32k.    I did a drop set of swings with the beast and the 32k, and when I switched, I nearly threw the 32k over my head.  The beast makes everything feel light.

Majorly awesome, Steve.

Do you know/know of Scott Helsley? I believe he made a 60kg bell... filled it with depleted uranium or something like that.

Aris,  I know who Scott Helsley is- I've seen the video of him earning MS in long cycle.  I was not aware he made a kettlebell.  That's cool.  To get 60k in a standard shell, I would think you'd need something heavier than lead.  Mine is a 12k shell, full of lead, and weighs 49k.  Adam Glass made one that was about 50k.  I think that's as high as lead will go in a space that size.

Update: almost six months later, it's holding up fine.  I use it for swings, and sometimes it gets set down hard, but so far it's all holding together fine.  I was concerned about shrinkage of the lead, but I cooled it slowly enough that that's not been a problem.

I believe that was the same conclusion he reached... and used uranium or a uranium alloy, made several bells like that, 56-62kg using a standard GS bell size. The WKC got one and Gregor Sobocan got another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7BlFSw05RM

Construction was detailed on his blog but I can't find it now, maybe it expired.

Where the heck does one get depleted uranium?  Not that I need it- my lead kettlebell is heavy enough.  Now that I have one, Pavel's "sinister" standard of 100 swings in 5m and 10 getups in 10m seems a long way off.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering: the volume of a 12k competition kettlebell is almost exactly one gallon, and the empty shell weighs 16 pounds.   Physicists can work out how heavy different metals would make it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom