all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Maffetone

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Was listening to Kenneth Jay and he was talking about cardio code and also the maffetone method. I ran a half marathon last month and did not do enough miles to prep for it. I got through it but it was a struggle. Has anyone the maffetone method to prep for a h marathon or used maffetone method to lean out??

Yes, I did use MAF method to prep for a half marathon this past March. I had done very little running in the previous year, and my preparation was a series of 6 runs each Thursday for 6 weeks leading up to the event; all at MAF heart rate, 30 min, 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80 min (training log). This was also part of the 104b swing protocol, so I was also doing lots of heavy 1H swings. So my longest prep run was 7 miles, and I got through the event of 13.1 miles without a problem. I also do a 1.5-2hr bike ride on the weekends so that helps with endurance as well.

Just like anything else, the leaning out comes with diet. But that effort can work well with MAF runs because you're not burning through glycogen stores like you are with harder runs.

What's "cardio code"?

Thanks for that Anna, I was listening to a strength matters podcast and KENNETH Jay was on it. I recognised him from the Viking warrior protocols and also the ROTKB book so I thought it would be worth a listen. The cardio code is his new book where he outlines how he would approach traditional cardio activities. It's been controversial in some ways as some people felt it contradicted what he had said beforehand. In the podcast he explains why he has updated his thinking on "traditional" cardio and how you can integrate with kbells and resistance training. Some very interesting research about the effect of weight training vs cardio on the heart and the body's ability to use Oxygen. I bought the book but I have yet to read it. Dan John references Phil M quite a bit. I like the idea of S and S plus some trad cardio and see how what goes..

Conor...
I tried to follow a (mostly) MAF protocol for my running in preparation for a recent Spartan race I did. Of course the challenges of a strict running race versus that of an obstacle course race are different; but I felt woefully underprepared for the running portions of the race. Admittedly... I may have needed more base kilometers (MAF). So for me the jury is still out. I plan on keeping most of my 'endurance' work MAF for a while longer, to see how it goes.

(As far as leaning out... I gotta agree with Anna...most of that happens in the kitchen)

Tried a 30 min run yesterday keeping the HR at 140 and have to say it was enjoyable. I've never really trained using HR as a guide but I'll give it a go and see how it goes. I previously used an app which kept your pace in bands and the top bands in there were really tough. I enjoy running from a bleach pint of view but performance in running wouldn't be a goal. Kept the HR on after the run and did a few sets of double snatches and it went to near 180.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom