all posts post new thread

Old Forum Maintaining joint health during Powerlifting/Strongman training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Aussie Viking

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all,

I've recently hooked up with an excellent strength gym in my local city and am going to be focussing my attention on competing in novice Strongman competitions over the coming 12 months. The training will encompass powerlifting, strongman event training and work with kettlebells.

However, I'm vary wary of becoming too tight and injury prone as I know many very strong people who now move like a 1980's Hollywood robot, with blown shoulders, elbows, knees and spines. I'm a martial artist as well, so I need to keep my joints healthy and injury-free.

Does anyone have a recommendation for something I can add to my routine to assist with this? I don't mind if it's a session a week or 5 minutes at the start of every session. I'm open to all suggestions.

Cheers.

AV, learn the technique of the sport from a professional and polish that technique until you start loading up.  Address your mobility and symmetry.  Go to medical professionals (when needed) who are lifters.

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen.

Pavel, I'm very fortunate as I'll have the opportunity to train side by side with one of our athletes that just received his WSM Pro Card and is in training for a Giants Live event, so I'll be able to learn from one of the best in the country in that regard. Also the little gym (sometimes referred to as a glorified garage gym by... others) holds over 20 Australian powerlifting records and I believe more than 5 world records. I'm truly blessed with some very strong and experienced lifters around me.

Regarding mobility and symmetry, how do I go best go about assessing weaknesses in these areas?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom