all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Marine Officer in Need of Programming Spot-Check

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SF1989

First Post
Greetings and happy holidays from a follower of the StrongFirst philosophy. I am a newly commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps, headed to training at The Basic School (TBS) in January. TBS is a six-month course demanding proficiency in hiking with a heavy pack, as well as a high degree of combat fitness (i.e. the ability to rush around with a weapon/combat load in woodland terrain for long periods of time).

Thanks to the kettlebell I'm pretty confident in my hiking abilities as well as my cardiovascular fitness. My issue is with upper body strength. I'm currently at a 16 pullup maximum and would like to raise that to 20+ by the time January comes. I am 5'10, 200 lbs and about 12% bf. I am currently training with the "Simple" standard set forth by StrongFirst.

I've got a month before reporting to TBS, during which time I'm planning on following the S&S routine on M/W/F while training pullup pyramids and cardiovascular fitness on T/TH/S (with Sunday programmed as a rest day). However, I've been intrigued by the Force Recon program by Pavel that has made its way around internet forums as of late.

Would you suggest I stick with S&S and pullup pyramids on alternating days, or pursue Force Recon/some other programming? Any input is greatly appreciated. Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday and staying safe.

If you happen to have a copy of Pavel's Beyond Bodybuilding, I've had great success in the past with the "ladder" pullup plan outlined on pages 279-281, both personally and for my trainees. Never been a fan of "pyramiding" the reps (if you don't have a copy of this particular book, Clarence Bass does a fair outline of the program here: Pavel's Ladder).

Semper Fi.

@SF1989- These are the things you absolutely should do and why: pull up ladders (probably 3 days a week) sandwiched with either dips (only with perfect form) or push ups. Farmers carries- you're going to spend the next 6 months learning how to lead an infantry platoon-which means carrying gear. Turkish get ups- saves the shoulders, hips and everything else. Swings-saves the back and builds endurance. You're going to move under load a lot. Save your back and swing. Theres a great article on here about "hardening the soldier for combat" (approximate title). Do a lot of walks instead of long slow distance runs. When you run do 400 or 800 repeats and maybe a 3 mile tempo check 1 once a week. Racked lunges- the days you're not moving with gear on you'll be at a desk in class-both jam the hips. Like the TGU the reverse lunge opens the hips and builds strength. Good Luck. Semper Fi!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom