all posts post new thread

Old Forum Minimalist Dumbbell Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
I am curious about dumbbell programming given the fact that my complex of townhomes' nearest fitness center has an assortment of dumbbells in it and no barbells. I generally use the gym near where I work for my predominantly barbell work (Rob Shaul's Mountain Athlete program), but when time is constrained I might have to use my local fitness center.

For a minimalist dumbell program I follow the same template I would for a barbell program, namely select a full body movement, an upper body movement, and a lower body movement.

Using a tried and true A/B format I'd do something like this:

Workout A:

Farmer's Carries

Dumbbell Bench Press

Dumbell Front Squat

Workout B:

Dumbbell Clean and Press

Dumbbell Deadlift

As far as sets and reps are concerned, minus the farmer's carries I'd do something like a 5,3,2 rep scheme (increasing weight each set) or using a weight ladder as described in Beyond Bodybuilding.

I'm curious if anyone has any dumbbell strength training advice as far as programming is concerned?

I've also purchased Dinosaur Dumbbell Training as another good complement for my research.

What you post doesn't look too bad, but I look at it slightly differently. Full disclosure, I don't use dumbbells in the normal course of my training, but I do when I travel, since that's usually all that hotel gyms have.

To me, a dumbbell is a lot more like a kettlebell than it is a barbell, hence I based my workout around kettlebell lifts, not barbell ones.  Program minimum works pretty well here, as does dumbbell snatching, etc. You might also want to look up Dan John's article on one dumbbell workouts.  Yes, you have access to more than one, but I still think it would be a good read.

Again, not a critique of what you posted, which looks fine, just offering another viewpoint/food for thought.

Careful reading and a compare & contrast between Mountain Athlete and StrongFirst would be worthwhile.

One-arm presses, see-saw presses, and double front squats work nearly as well with dumbbells as they do with kettlebells.  Just remember the rack position is like the top of a curl, palms facing clavicles.  For quick lifts kettlebells are easily the best choice.

Forewarned is forearmed in my viewpoint so thanks for the feedback from both of you.
To me, a dumbbell is a lot more like a kettlebell than it is a barbell, hence I based my workout around kettlebell lifts, not barbell ones.  Program minimum works pretty well here, as does dumbbell snatching, etc. You might also want to look up Dan John’s article on one dumbbell workouts.  Yes, you have access to more than one, but I still think it would be a good read.
Thanks for the feedback. I've never thought of dumb bells in that particular way before, so thanks for the feedback.

As to compare and contrast between StrongFirst and Mountain Athlete, both have an emphasis on strength as the basis of GPP. I know that Rob Shaul trained with Dan John at one point as well. I also know Mountain Athlete is a bit more sport specific than StrongFirst in some sense insomuch as its aimed at mountaineers, mountain guides, skiers, rock climbers, ice climbers, etc.. His Base Fitness program which I follow,is quite excellent and well balanced. However if I lack time or means, I always do research on my alternatives.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom