all posts post new thread

Old Forum Movement vs isometrics?-need to cut size of workout

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
I currently have 3 workouts I cycle through

1. Plyometric jumping for conditioning and leg strength/explosiveness

2. Basic gymnastic strength stuff, both dynamic movements and iso-position holds of positions midway through the movements

3. Yoga based, zero load, flexibility and mobility

I have been thinking that #2 is too many different exercises on one day with too few reps as progress is glacial.  My goals for #2 primarily strength w/ hypertrophy a distant second.  I am at beginner stage progressions on most of them and do not really care about actual gymnastics performance; this is just most convenient way for me to strength train at this time

Would I likely do best by eliminating the holds and just doing the movements, which would cut it in 1/2 to 6 total exercises or just work on the holds for now?

Probably should have said that the #2 workout consists of 6 movements w/6 iso's that are within the same pattern as the movements.

My suggestion based on personal experience and some experimentation. Split the dynamic exercises over 2-3 days. Fit in one or more iso holds any old time on days you don't feel physically taxed. I have found that being less than strict regarding sessions per week (sometimes doing fewer than "scheduled") and timings, my strength levels have actually gone up. Example, my progress towards pistols has dramatically improved. Not there yet but for the first time in a long while, very heartening signs of progress.

Thank you PnS, I think starting today the holds go on hold so to speak and so I just have 6 dynamic, large movements to go 5X5. Have to think about splitting them

Did Convict Conditioning for quite awhile (many months) w/ split sched as indicated in one of the protocols, forget which off hand and made approximately zero progress. When I moved all  the exercises to one day on sesion, increased intensity (more sets but higher level progressions w/ less reps), and put in more rest days between, I got stronger.

I believe you were right to increase the number of rest-days. One advantage of a split is that one can do fewer exercises but at greater intensity without anxious clock-watching. A moderately irregular "schedule"  (don't have a choice) seems to be working quite well for me esp. in kb BU press, pushups and single-leg squats. Horizontal pullup numbers however improving much more slowly. Don't know the reason for that. Got to tinker a little.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom