all posts post new thread

Old Forum Muscle as a Glucose Buffer

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

The Scientist

Level 3 Valued Member
I recently did a self-experiment, and thought I would share the results:

Background: I have a strong history of type 2 diabetes in my family, and I occasionally test my fasting and post-prandial glucose levels out of curiosity. I have also been reading quite a bit of primary literature on the effects of skeletal muscle mass and strength training on glucose homeostasis. The conclusion that I gathered was that increasing muscle mass and keeping carbohydrate intake moderate will lead to increased glycogen storage capacity, but low actual glycogen levels, leading to an ability to absorb large boluses of glucose at a rate much higher than I would have expected.

Protocol: Cyclic ketogenic diet where carbs stay low (75-100 g) most days, putting me into a moderate ketogeneic state after 3-4 days at this level. Once or twice a week, have a large dose of starch (potatoes or rice) immediately after a challenging strength workout. This is known as carb-backloading in some circles. I decided to test my glucose levels to get an idea of what was happening. For reference, I am male, ~220 lbs and ~12-15% BF.

Results: Fasting glucose was 80-85 mg/dl, and dropped to ~75 mg/dl during the workout. Immediately after lifting (30 minutes or squat, deadlift, press, chin-up, farmer's walk), I consumed a whey protein shake and 6 cups of cooked rice (about 270g of carbohydrate). This should be enough to send blood glucose levels very high, but... glucose levels rose to mid-90s after 30 minutes and never rose above that level, coming back down to mid 80s after 2 hours. The following morning, weight was up several pounds more than normal, indicating that the glucose went to glycogen storage (water weight), given that fat storage could not possibly account for that kind of weight increase.

Conclusion: carb feasting when carb-depleted and after strength training seems to result in the ability to store glucose as glycogen very quickly. This confirms data from animal (and some human) studies that I have read, suggesting that Glut4 can be activated without insulin to rapidly remove blood glucose for storage after strength training. The weekly or twice-weekly carb binge also dramatically restores energy levels the following morning and keeps performance high in the gym. If anyone is interested in the power of lifting to manage blood glucose, I thought this might be helpful.

Scientist, you mention carb back-loading so you probably know the carb back-loading protocol put forward by Kiefer. If you do then you may have already received the link below, if not then it sounds as if it may be of interest to you:

http://body.io/body-io-fm-48-dr-jason-fung-type-2-diabetes-curable/

Interesting Scientist.  I love self-experimentation.

Not to take away from the more serious side of your experiment - but I can't believe you ate 6cups of rice!!  I just looked on my loaf of bread (at the nutritional breakdown) - and 2 slices has 27g of carbohydrate.  So that's 20 slices!

Maybe the 270g of rice is just that, not the carbo content of the rice (so for my bread 100g of bread has 38g of carbohydrate)?

Oddly today I didn't feel hungry at all after my training.  Forced myself to have my usual large glass of milk, but could have skipped that.  Won't eat for about 3 more hours too now (as usual).  Wonder if that is also connected to strength training managing glucose levels?  Some days I can't wait to have my milk, today - no desire.  Weird (and today is a higher intensity day compared to others).

Your conclusion - large glycogen storage capacity but low glycogen blood levels - is there more you can explain about that?  Like why do you think/understand that to be better than the alternative (not sure what the untrained or average person would be like) - and IF you fill the glycogen storage (like you did by backloading) does this help afterwards eg. with a particular style eating afterwards (again trying to see why a large glycogen storage capacity is useful, considering body fat has a pretty large capacity)?

Matt,

Glucose exists as free molecules in your blood (free glucose), but is stored as a long polymer in muscles and liver – this is glycogen. The benefit of the setup I am scribing is that it keeps muscles filled with glycogen, which is necessary for intense, explosive movements, but avoids large and regular spikes in blood glucose, which are not a good idea from a health standpoint.

As for the 6 cups of rice - I guess I have quite a capacity. On a different occasion I did a similar thing with 1 lb of meat and 2 lbs potatoes, plus half gallon of milk.

Ok - thanks for the clarification.  I understand now - you did say that in your first now I re-read it (I got distracted with boluses :)).

I think I like this self-experimentation if it means feasting !  You do have quite the capacity!  My strongman mate eats a dozen eggs for breakfast (with probably other "sides") - and he is 140kgs - I thought that was a lot...

Scientist,

I have experienced similar results with back-loading.  I have a history of wonky blood sugar and so I was looking for something that would give me even energy through the day like a low carb diet but also have me firing on all cylinders when it is time to train.  Carb backloading did the trick.

A couple of notes: I train just before lunch, and I have found that I can back load either at lunch or  in the evening with no ill effects.  This makes me wonder if the efficacy of back-loading is really because of GLUT4 mediation or is it just that there there is someplace to store all of that glucose without having to resort to fat storage.   Also, I found that rather than one monster backload per week, I could backload a smaller amount (maybe 150g on average) after each workout (2-3 times per week) and get similar results.

-Chris

Have you tried "carb feasting" with different glycemic load carbs? I've played a lot with keto and carb-loading, and rice has nowhere near the coma-inducing effects on me as a wheat- or sugar-heavy meal. Potatoes too, feel like a much stronger insulin response. (to be clear, I don't mean I actually end up in a coma, but I get that heavy, sleepy feeling after significant wheat/sugar consumption)

I have done potatoes, but always mixed with meat, and have never felt off from it (but I haven't tested glucose under these same conditions). I only eat wheat in small amounts on rare occasions, and large amounts of sugar never happen. I spent several years doing cell biology research on non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and ever since I have avoided added sugars almost completely. Sucrose and HFCS are not equivalent to starch, both from a  health perspective, and also from a performance perspective, in that fructose can't be used to refill muscle glycogen – the liver bears nearly the entire metabolic load.

Scientist, cool self-experiment.  About minute 19 Kiefer gets into the weirdness where carb feasting makes you lean:

http://youtu.be/nlgfaMYdTpI

There's been a few threads on this lately.  My guess is it's not the training itself that keeps you lean, but simply having muscle.

you gotta earn your carbs - a lot of truth in the old adage  perhaps?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom