all posts post new thread

Old Forum My S&S progress - your feedback

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abdul-Rasheed

Level 6 Valued Member
I started S&S with two handed swings using 16kg in Feb 2015. I was new to weight training at that time. Currently I am able to do 100 with a 24kg in 6.5 minutes when tested.  Based on some discussions here, I don't 'test' every day. On regular days, I do it in about 10 minutes taking a lot of rest in between sets. Clearly I have built strength over the last few months, I am so happy and excited. However, I still haven't tried one handed swings yet and I am very hesitant to do it for some reason. May be it is because I am afraid I have to go lighter on the weight or because I am so comfortable with the two-handed form. As for TGUs I am comfortable with it, currently I am taking it slow with a 16kg bell.

Any comments, tips or suggestions on how to go about things going forward?

Try the one arm swing with the 16kg or the get up with the 24kg. Either way, i dont think you'll be disapointed :)

If your objective is to advance through S&S, then I'd say it's time to move on to one-hand swings, since that's the program.

You probably won't need to go to the lighter kettlebell, just try them with the 24kg in your next session. More than likely your grip will be the first to give out, so you may need to switch after five reps instead of going the full 10.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to commit to using one-hand swings for the entire workout right away. Maybe do your first set with two hands, then the second with one hand, then back to two hands if you feel the need. Similar to the progression to a larger kettlebell found in the book.

However you work them in though, it's time to start doing one-hand swings if you're on the S&S program.

Hi Abdul - i understand your hesitation about 1hand swings- i had it for a long time and i was an experienced weight lifter before i picked up a bell and i had over two years of kettlebell training with the program minimum from Enter the Kettlebell, before i started S&S and started in on 1H swings.  there is a lot you can do with 2H swings - i wouldnt be in a rush to make the switch - you have been at this only 4 months.  As Jason points out, if you are practicing the S&S program, then you should move onto 1H swings at some point - but re-read the manual as i recall Pavel instructs to be patient and get your form rock solid.  there is no need to hurry into 1handed swings and frankly you are better off building up your structure with a "heavy" weight, than dropping back to the 16kg for 1H work - that weight is not meaty enough to be instructive.  Personally, i had to get comfortable swinging the 32kg with 2hands before i ever even tried swinging the 24kg with one hand.  And again, i had gone through a lot of training with the 2H swing using the 24kg - including the 10,000 swing challenge and a lot of high rep training - my 2H swing form was absolute and my TGUs were rock solid with the 32kg well before i ever tried a 1H swing with the 24kg and now i am doing my S&S practice with the 40kg- this doesnt have to be your guide, i'm sure many people out there went right into the single arm swings just fine, but there is a lot to be said for building your foundation slowly and methodically.

http://www.strongfirst.com/simple-sinister-progressing-from-two-to-one-handed-swings/

What Richard posted.  Steve said that same thing in a forum when I was trying to get used to 32kg one handed swings.  After just a couple weeks of the 2-2-2-2-2 method I was off and running.  It's gold.

worked well for me also. I did 2-2-2-2-2, then as I felt stronger I went 2T-4L-4R, then 2T-8L, then the next set 2T-8R, etc

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom