all posts post new thread

Old Forum Myofibrillar gain with calisthenics?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BKuda

First Post
I'm a small to average framed guy at 5'10" and 150-155 lbs with around 15-18% bodyfat and have been this way for quite some time even at my fittest when all I did was run and do pushups and pullups. At that point I could run a 2:15 800 and do 15 proper pullups without an issue but I looked absolutely the same for the most part. I'm pretty sick of this "skinny-fat" physique and so I'm wondering if and how best I can pack on about 20-30 pounds of functional muscle with nothing more than the ground, kettlebells, and a pullup bar. I've read the 4 Hour Body and many of Pavel's articles already, but weights are the main focus it seems so I'm not sure what I should do since I don't have access to a gym where I am currently. The only way I could think of going about this is by knocking out a ton of floor exercises until failure for each and then hoping for the best, but that doesn't go along with the do less to achieve more approach. I would greatly appreciate if you guys can help me out, point me to a routine or in a specific direction...thanks.

Hello Ben Prokuda,

While the barbell is your best friend for mass gains - make no mistake about it - you can make progress with minimal equipment. The first thing to do is to load your chins with your kettlebells, you can use a belt or rope or just hang it on your feet. Also do dips (weighted the same way) if possible.

Many will find that kettlebells pack a lot on the shoulder area if you go high enough in volume. Double kettlebell work is a good way if you have access to them. Also do double kettlebell front squats.

"Knocking out a ton of floor exercises until failure" might not be ideal. You need high enough volume with high enough load. Also consider reducing rest periods, it's an almost forgotten variable used by some of the great earlier bodybuilders.

Good luck.

Thanks, reducing rest periods is a better idea? And how about number of reps? I got that 5 and under is still the best to not be bloated

I agree with Stefan that the barbell is best for mass.  Just doing a bench press, bent over row, and a deadlift or squat can be very low skill once the movements are memorized so you can pile on a ton of weight.  Calisthenics are more fun and more portable but advanced work with cals often requires an element of skill that works stabilizers in a way that detracts from the total lifting capacity.  Muscle gains will be there but perhaps not as rapidly.  Of course, strong stabilizers in one legged squats and one armed pushups aren't so terrible to have either.

For muscle gains from bodyweight resistance programs and ideas on how to progress in 8 bodyweight skills the book Men's Health: Your Body is a Barbell is the best I've seen of its kind.  When the book's programs for fat loss or mass are too easy with one armed handstand pushups and one armed chinups, you can carry a kettlebell to keep progressing.  Building up in progressions to skills like these have been more fun for me than refining strength skills with a barbell.  Perhaps you will agree.

If you want to start something in your calisthenics training RIGHT NOW while waiting for the book to arrive, google Escalating Density Training or Nick Nilsson's Time-Volume Training and pick appropriate exercises.

I'm no expert but remember to adjust the calisthenics variation to your strength level. There's lots of pushup variations, for example, ranging from pushing away from a wall to one arm handstand pushups. You can take the appropriate variation for your strength level and plug it into a body building style program.

Thanks, what I'm going for is to be really comfortable with handling at least my own bodyweight i.e the guys who can do perfect form muscle ups and plank pushups without much issue. But at the same time push my weight up to where it's ideal and I'm not underweighted.

Read Pavel's "Power to the People" and "Naked Warrior" to understand programming and skills for building strength and muscle with minimal equipment/bodyweight, also go over to the beast skills website http://www.beastskills.com/ for detailed tutorials on anything from one handed handstands/pushups and muscle ups, etc. etc.  dump the train to failure idea, other than an occasional test of your skills/strength, less really is more when it comes to building strength, muscle and staying injury free.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom