all posts post new thread

Old Forum New to KB

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

fishingerK1

First Post
I am new to kettle ball workout.  I purchased the audio book and foundation dvd.  I do not have the dvd yet.  I started the audio book and found I can't even do the the squat without my back arching.  I am very out of shape and a woman over 45.  I am a farmer who works hard but has no strength.  I have no flexibility.  Should I start with just stretching or modify the exercise to how far I can bend down?  I am hoping to get strong so I can pickup heavier loads of hay and etc. without my back aching all the time.

Hi, Susan!  KBs are awesome... love 'em to death.  Glad you've come to this side of fitness.  I suggest you track down a SFG for some hands on to make sure you're doing things correctly.  They can also get you moving correctly to make sure you move the bell correctly as well.

I suspect you are a lot stronger than you realize and as suggested by Tim, a certified SFG trainer could help you learn how to use your strength and use correct positioning for the kettlebell  exercises.  Some people are able to learn some of these skills from a book or DVD but I find that on the spot feed back from a qualified instructor is invaluable in cleaning up my mistakes.

Susan,

Farming is pretty tough, lots of jobs to do, all the time day and sometimes night.  Nothing waits for you to feel like doing it.  I doubt you're weak at all, just tired.  And putting your back in a position of flexion for long periods of time can make it ache no matter how old you are.  I remember hoeing weeds in my uncle's orchard as a teenager and my back would ache like the dickens for an hour or two afterwards.  How you do things may be more important than simply getting stronger.  Kettlebells are awesome, strength is number one but I think you may need to address your movement patterns as well.  I like this person:  http://www.restorativeexercise.com/about-katy/.  I think you will get plenty of good advice here, it was a good decision to post.  If you never ask for help, you never get any.  I think very light weight to start, become a technique nazi and practice a bunch before loading up the weight.  Best wishes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom