all posts post new thread

Old Forum NW/S&S Training report

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kyrinov

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello folks,

A little report on some findings.  No news to most, helpful to some.  I scaled back my S&S practice as my medic rideouts were already taxing my hinge pattern fairly heavily.  Throw in -30 weather, sharply reduced sleep and long shifts and I rapidly went from closing in on the 40k for all my S&S sets to dropping back sharply to all-32k when my back started feeling a bit "grumpy," and my weights started feeling heavier than they should.  I have been working with S&S for over a year now with deep focus and thought I'd throw in a measure of variety while I finish this particularly stressful period in my life.  I had tried NW stuff when I had a mild injury a while back but didn't do the OAPU progression well...I just did terrible on-the-ground OAPUs and promptly irritated my shoulder and stopped.  I started doing single L/R sets of pistols followed OAPUs on the back bumper of the ambulance whenever I had a lull (and no one was looking!)  Did it just to do something between calls and to keep some kind of stimulus for my nervous system.  The results so far (two weeks in) have been quite frankly AWESOME.  I feel a much stronger sense of "pressing from the dantian", the area below the navel, and when I do KB presses, which I do when the mood strikes me at home, I feel my hips are much more like a "platform", a solid one that makes my presses much stronger, much better.  My posture feels different, posture was always pretty good but now I feel solid, my back feels somewhat like a cobra...not in size but just the way it feels inside, more stored power, better movement.  I'm still doing my S&S on my days off but I'm really happy with this template at the moment.  I know NW is not the "sexy stuff" of barbells and kbs but if you do find yourself limited in some way with your training, see it as an opportunity.  I'm amazed at how much sudden improvement can happen when one puts any kind of directed effort at the StrongFirst curriculum.

Best,

Charles

Thank you for the report, Charles.  Sounds like you've done a good job at turning a potential downturn in your strength into an improvement.  Keep up the good work!

-S-

Naked Warrior. Excellent book on building strength with body weight by Pavel. Focus is on 2 main exercises the One Arm One Leg Push Up and the Pistol.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom