all posts post new thread

Kettlebell On my way with S&S and, some questions.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Flavius

Level 4 Valued Member
Well, I’m on my way to simple, not there yet but, I will get there! Haven’t posted in a bit but, I read everything I can so I thought I would give a quick update and, ask some questions I have been wondering about.

So first where I’m at: I am around 4 months into S&S now and, had some pretty interesting results so far. When I started I used a 25lb bell for TGU’s (terrible shoulder stability) and, a 16kg for 2 handed swings. (I could military press a 60 lb DB but, the 25lb KB give me trouble with a TGU to start with) I’m now using the 24kg for all getups and, one handed swings so I’m pretty happy about how that has progressed so far. Not sure how long it will take to go from 24 to the 32 on the TGU’s but, my shoulders are starting to have a lot less daily pain so slow and, steady 10 reps at a time it is! haha

As far as results as I said above, less shoulder pain, not healed totally yet but, significantly better. Went from 220 to 210 without really changing anything in my diet and, now I’m working on some IF 16/8 style which seems pretty popular around here. Hoping to get down to 180 range. (37 years old, 5’6” very stocky frame) I went to the gym a couple weeks ago just to play around and, see how things have changed. Did a simple full-body barbell routine and, pushed it pretty good then jumped on the bike for a little cardio. Before S&S 15 minutes on the bike and, I would be puffing pretty good, heart rate way up there and, sweating. This time however 15 minutes later I was breathing normally and my heart rate was LESS after 15 minutes on the bike. Cardio without having to do cardio, to steal a tag line “I’m loving it!” haha Veins in forearms are starting pop and the GF loves this part, more tail-feather for me to shake I have been told. LOL

Now onto my questions:

So I know everybody is different but, I was just curious how long it generally took for everyone to go from KB newb to Simple Standard?

What did you do once you hit the simple standard? I picked up ETK but, I was wondering if ROP or working my way up to a 36 or 40kg would be better first. (For bells I currently have: 25lb, 2 x 16, 1x 24, 1x 32)

Now the odd question: GF and I moved in together a few weeks ago and her bed is hard as a rock so adjusting to it is giving me some issues. The upper outside of my leg into the hip joint (I sleep on my side) is pretty painful and, stiff in the morning. Slowly goes away for the most part throughout the day as I move more but comes right back the next morning. So I ask you enlightened people. Is there any stretch, lift, technique I can do to get rid of this pain?

Best Regards,

Michael

Congratulations on your progress!

So I know everybody is different but, I was just curious how long it generally took for everyone to go from KB newb to Simple Standard?
Obviously not a definite answer, but I'd say 1 - 1 1/2 years from never touching a KB and be challenged by the 16Kg (for men) to simple.

What did you do once you hit the simple standard? I picked up ETK but, I was wondering if ROP or working my way up to a 36 or 40kg would be better first. (For bells I currently have: 25lb, 2 x 16, 1x 24, 1x 32)
That's really up to do, but here's a often quoted guideline: Things Are Going So Well, Help Me Screw It Up, Part 2 - StrongFirst

Not what you want to hear, but stick to S&S until you get close to simple, and most of the time the answer will already have presented itself! Patience my friend, focus on the task at hand (in fact S&S does teach patience A LOT! That is of course a very good thing)

Now the odd question: GF and I moved in together a few weeks ago and her bed is hard as a rock so adjusting to it is giving me some issues. The upper outside of my leg into the hip joint (I sleep on my side) is pretty painful and, stiff in the morning. Slowly goes away for the most part throughout the day as I move more but comes right back the next morning. So I ask you enlightened people. Is there any stretch, lift, technique I can do to get rid of this pain?

Not sure about stretching, but it sounds like you might be better served to get rid of the cause instead of treating a symptom... So why not buy a very good high quality mattress as a gift for the both of you? Might make GF very happy too... veins in forearms AND considerate AND generous, talk about tailfeathershaking

@ClaudeR I certainly plan to stick to S&S until Simple Standard is met of course. Mor ejust curious as to what everyone else does and, if I need to buy another bell soon.

Unfortunately getting rid of the cause entirely is out of the question financially right now, so it's more about finding a temporary solution and, also finding out if it's a physical issue I need to work on or just plain lay some extra blankets down to sleep on for now.

Most people will be happy to take a break from 1.5 years of the same near-daily routine, so there are many options... ROP certainly is a good one and a lot of people will do that, but be prepared for long sessions!
Others prefer to do a few weeks of PTTP (depending equipment availability), and in general these 2 are a good match to alternate

In general once you get close to simple you will have found the answer to your question for yourself, stay the course to sinister, or switch it up a bit

@aciampa wrote a blog post about another alternative with swings to take your conditioning up a notch, if that is what floats your boat

bed stories... foam rolling might help, as does sticking it out and getting used to it!
You might want to change your sleep position slightly, but that is of course hard to achieve
I travel a whole lot for work, and I got used to sleeping in different beds (most of them rubbish), so stick it out, gently massage the impacted areas, and maybe look into a gentle movement routine in the mornings to get the blood flowing through the joints and muscles?

So I ask you enlightened people. Is there any stretch, lift, technique I can do to get rid of this pain?
Hey @Flavius it might not be a bad idea to have a quick once over with your Physio, chiro, or massage therapist. There are possibly a number of stretches/soft tissue techniques/sleeping positions that might help. but without really knowing what it is that is in pain/causing the pain, any suggestions would be just guesses. That being said, try any and all of the great suggestions above, foam rolling and stretching the hips (glutes, quads, hams calves) and even the T-spine area and see what you see until you can get in for an assessment. Super Joints is a great reference for a wake up movement routine.

Nice work on S&S by the way. I've always loved how something so straight forward can give such overarching results. Thanks Pavel!

@Anna C I'll certainly try foam rolling, forgot I had the darn thing since it was still in a box in the garage! haha There isn't much pain after my S&S sessions so I'm sure that's helping out a bit. @King Cobra Fit If the foam rolling doesn't work I'll definitely hit up my chiro they got a whole wellness center there now to.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom