all posts post new thread

Old Forum One-Arm Swing with 32kg kettlebell need critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikhael

Level 9 Valued Member
Hello everybody,

Can You critique my OA Swing with 32kg KB?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHN1qJzfoZ4

Michal,

You need to work on the timing ("playing chicken"), get more explosive and fix your head/neck position.

And, rememering what "reward" (hint: really long and heavy farmers walk) we recieved after from Pavel, after one of the "russian volunteers" showed up wearing socks at my cert back in 2011, I would add: get rid of the shoes.

Here are the main things I notice:

--Your swing is a more fluid and squatty/quad dominant style of swing than an explosive hardstyle hip dominant hinge style. So most of my comments are from the perspective of hardstyle, which presumably is what you are seeking by asking for feedback here.

--You appear to break at the knee on the down swing before your hips move back, and don't get your hips back much at all, which is why your swings lack explosiveness. It appears you are driving mostly with your legs, and possibly driving your shoulders up, rather than with your hips moving back and forward.

If you look at your start at half speed, you can see that you rock your hips back to initiate moving the the bell off the floor, but then actually move your hips FORWARD as you swing the bell back. Then your hips don't get back into a deep hinge for the rest of each set.

--Pay attention to your balance on your feet. Try to keep evenly balanced over your feet throughout each rep. For instance, there is a rep at 0:24-0:25 where your right heel comes up on the back swing. Then there is a rep at 0:49-0:50 where both toes come up on the up swing.

--This may be a quirk of the camera angle, but it looks like especially on your left side, you are rotating your working shoulder forward and not really squaring it up at the top. The hardstyle one-arm swing is an anti-rotational exercise, although other styles of swing encourage torso rotation to help drive the bell. Try to keep as squared up, with the shoulder packed/retracted as much as possible throughout each rep. A bit of rotation on the on the downswing is inevitable, but try to keep it to a minimum and get fully squared up and packed at the top.

--Your head and eye positions are very inconsistent. At the top, your neck is usually flexed forward and you head is often projected forward, but sometimes you are looking down, and other times looking up or straight ahead. At the bottom you sometimes extend your neck and look ahead, but sometimes flex forward and look down like you like you are trying to see something on the floor in front of you.

A good head position guideline (but not necessarily a hard and fast rule -- there are a number of philosophies about head position) is eyes on the horizon, such that you can focus on one spot throughout each rep, with your head neutral at the top and somewhat extended at the bottom. But avoid overly exaggerated extension at the bottom and excessive forward head carriage throughout.

Hope this helps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom