all posts post new thread

Old Forum One arm swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

alex88

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey comrades!

On saturday i went to a kettlebell seminar and found out that i don't pack my shoulders right. While it is/was easy to change in the 2 arm swing, my one arm swings aren't up to stg standards.

Could you give me any advice on how to change that?

The problem is that the shoulder of the working arm comes out of it's socked aka my shoulder is not packed anymore. please help me!

You know you've made a big discovery. The biggest between not knowing that you don't know how to pack your shoulder and the one of knowing how to pack your shoulder is the first one. The unkown unkown is always the big threat, Congratulations, now you can activley work on it.

I'm not qualified to give specific advice in anyway but what made my 1h swing feel like my 2h swing was to mix them up. 5 2h swings and 1 1h swing to start for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69AIy-EU3X4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRuiwFbzO7g

here are some videos, to see what it looks like

Alex,

This is not uncommon.  A video from the side of the working arm would be better here.

How long have you been swinging?

You need to attach your shoulder to your pelvis through lat activation.  Extend your arm out in front of you as in the top of the swing.  Put a deck of cards, or something similar, under your arm pit and squeeze it down.  Not just in (as most people do), but down.  Now pinch your butt checks together and brace your abs - hard - now your hand is connected to your pelvis.

If you still can't feel it, you haven't been practicing long enough yet.

Do this drill with both arms often throughout the day - sometimes you can just imagine the item of choice in your armpit - but do it often.  As your proprioception and strength increases, this will become automatic.

Apply your new found wisdom to your swings.

-Al

Thanks for advice Al.  I was wondering if I was packing my shoulder during my single arm swings.  The way you describe is easy too feel and apply.

Just want to say thank you to the OP for posting this, and thank you to Al for the great drill.

Dan

One thing that helped me that I got from Tracy Reifkind and Pat Flynn is the One Arm Swing with the other hand to just touch the bell. That way you know you are not going out too far/over centerline.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom