all posts post new thread

Old Forum Original Strength and FSQ WTH?!?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Schrodingers Cat

Level 1 Valued Member
I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this.  I train alone in a storage shed and my wife couldn't care less. lol.

A year ago I had surgery to repair a torn meniscus and clean up some scar tissue from a previous ACL reconstruction.  After I was given approval to start training on my own I decided to focus on the squat since I had a good bit of atrophy in my left leg.  I could barely do a 16kg goblet squat.

I picked up Original Strength and some fat loss programs from Geoff Neupert.  I kept plugging away with the OS resets and progressing to the double KB FSQ.  The more OS work I did the more I could squat, the more I could squat, the better my knees felt.

I recently finished a low rep training cycle using a pair of 36kg bells in the FSQ .  During this cycle I would sometimes warm up with no more than 135lb while practicing the low bar back squat.  Yesterday I loaded the bar with my body weight of 225lb. I did a couple sets of 5 and felt pretty good.  For my 3rd set I decided to test myself a bit.  I ended up doing 23 reps going below parallel on the back squat.  I feel confident that I had 3 reps left in the tank but I called it a day because I was losing tightness in my abs.

These number are nothing special but the progress I have made is very surprising to me considering that I had no previous experience with any squat variation prior to surgery.  Magic happens when you just stick to the program.

It is tough explaining to some people that squatting properly can be very good for the knees - glad you figured that out, congratulations, and keep up the good work.

-S-

Steve,

I agree wholeheartedly. For some reason both pistols and lowbar BSQ makes my knees feel awesome. Even though as squats come they are quite diffrent.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom