all posts post new thread

Old Forum Pain in finger during swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Swinger

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello all.

This is my first post. I was hoping someone could help me. I've been working with kettlebells for  a few months now, coming from a weight lifting and then bodyweight training background. I moved up to the 24kg kettlebell and have had a lot sof gains from it, especially in the grip.

Recently I started Dan John's 10,000 swing program; the first week with the 16 kg and thw second with the 24.. However I found that the ring finger of my left hand was in pain after the sessions, which I assume must have a been because of the volume and possibly my grip. I use the hook grip. Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you Pavel. How should I be holding the kettlebell for extended swig sessions, then?

You might clarify what you mean by hook grip.

I'm assuming you mean to hook the handle with your fingers, rather than gripping it tightly. This is recommended in ETK.

There's another hook grip, used for heavy pulls (deadlift), where you hook the fingers over the thumb (search with Google Images). This would be a bad idea here, so maybe that's what Pavel thought you meant.

I experience pain in my fingers if I increase my kb ballistics volume or weight too much – also as a result of chronically tight wrist flexors. I keep my ballistics to a total of 100 reps with a heavy kettlebell and moderate sets/reps. I haven't experienced any pain since.

I build up quite a bit of calluses but no pain.
You just need to soak and file them down.
As Jason said, don't grip them too tight.

However, grip them tight(er) during the back swing.
My 24KG just fly into the wall of my study/gym today and make a dent. The force made a something on the dining table  fall as well. :-/

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Yes, I’ve been hooking the handle loosely with my fingers, not as in the deadlift hook grip. My wrist flexors seem fine because I’ve done large volume swings with the 16 kg without any issues.

Should I try to hold it deeper in my palm and wait for my hand/grip strength to catch up? Would taping my hands help?

A bookcase in my office can sympathise with your wall Toby. :)

"How should I be holding the kettlebell for extended swig sessions, then?"

With one hand and frequent switches.

Thanks for your input. I'm going to wait a couple of says for a full recovery and give it suggestion a shot.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom