all posts post new thread

Pavel’s TTKC (program results/recommendation)

Brickwork

Level 1 Valued Member
This morning I tested my press, after having completed a 12 week block of Pavel’s Total Tension Kettlebell Complex, setting new technical rep maximums (TRM) for strict pressing with 20kg, 24kg and 32kg kettlebells. I had never previously been able to press the 32kg without push-pressing it and was surprised to be able to do so (for multiple reps), despite not training with anything heavier than 20kg kettlebells since the start of January.

I have been recording my training in a private members log but given how pleased I am with the results and how strongly I’d like recommend this program, I thought I’d summarise my experience/endorsement here because I think the TTKC is often overlooked. Please don’t misinterpret this post as a brag.

When I started this in January my TRMs for strict pressing with the 20kg and 24kg were 10 and 5 respectively. While the program prescribes the use “a pair of kettlebells you can strictly press 6-8 times after one clean”, I erred on the side of caution, opting for the 20kg to ensure I was maintaining good form, particularly because this was my first foray into double kettlebell work. I could not previously strictly press the 32kg, rather I had to push press or jerk it. At the conclusion of the 12 week block my TRMs had increased by 5 (up to 15 reps) for the 20kgs, and by 4 (up to 9 reps) for the 24kg kettlebell. After ample rest I also tried the 32kg and was surprised how easily it went up for two reps both sides. I was also pleased to see there was no imbalance between arms (I only own single 24kg and 32kg kettlebells, so had to test separately). I do not own scales to track my weight, but feedback from my wife and the mirror test suggests there was noticeable hypertrophy. I also increased my protein intake (from about 90 to 130-160 grams per day, at a body weight of around 80kgs) for the duration of the block, which likely contributed.

On the whole, I’d highly recommend this program for anyone in the novice to moderate experience categories, who are seeking to progress their press. I’m by no means an experienced lifter and think many in similar circumstances would benefit from this type of linear progression. The renegade rows were an eye opener, in terms of developing whole body tension/linkage. The volume started light (with the press/squat reps totalling 16 in a session), allowing me to develop good form with the double clean and front squat, prior to progressing to become sufficiently taxing (with press/squat reps totalling 64 reps in the final two weeks).

Kudos to Pavel and the StrongFirst team for continuing to offer simple and effective programs which achieve results!

Back
Top Bottom