all posts post new thread

Old Forum Pavel : Before bed stretching help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mendoza15

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi Pavel.I am a semi pro rugby player (speed position)who trains 4/5x week for rugby and twice in the gym using easy strength principles . In this scenario i do streching before bed and was wondering what would be optimal regarding duration of stretches (hip flexors ,hamstrings , calves ,pecs ,bi's and anything tight) ? Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks

Riccardo, no expertise claimed and I am not Pavel.  This is just what I do.

Stretch, as shown in Relax Into Stretch, at the end of your day but before you head off to bed.  Stretching with various contract-relax protocols and waiting out the tension can be hard work.

Immediately before bed, try some Original Strength and/or Primal Move resets.  Rocking is great, it's simple, and you can even literally do it on/in your bed before you turn out the light, as I often do.

-S-

Thanks Steve i've actually incorporated the OS resets as warmups and as grease the groove type resets during the day . . Just looking to find the most minimalist stretch exercises for after field sessions from Relax into Stretch, max 2 -4.

One of my favorite times to work on splits was 10 pm or so in the evening - when my kids were younger, this would be after they'd gone to bed, and I could read or watch television with my wife while sitting in a wait-out-the-tension side split.  Optimal duration?  Whatever it takes to get the job done.

In my opinion, one of the best things you can do is the Cossack sequence shown in Super Joints - you can perform it SJ style or RIS style or anywhere in between, and I use it as an opportunity to also stretch upper body, e.g., I will do relatively unstructured neck and t-spine and shoulder stretches while in the various lower body postures, IOW, just moving around, reaching, stretching, the neck, shoulders, and upper back.  Because the postures in the Cossack sequence effectively immobilize things that otherwise might move in the lower body, the upper body stretches hit just what they're supposed to.

Hope that helps - best of luck to you.

-S-

Steve,

When you say the Cossack sequence in SJ, you are referring to the cossack, lunge transitions? In the cossack as a contract/relax, are you applying tension in the extended leg down through the heel?  Hope my question makes sense.

And generally how long would you spend in a "waiting out the tension" split stretch?  I am thinking I may not be waiting long enough:)  Thanks~

Jon

Riccardo, depending on the given muscle's fiber composition, injury history, fatigue, your stretching skill, etc. the time it will take different muscles to relax will vary greatly.  As Steve has said: as long as it takes.  which is a lot longer than most people think—minutes.

Jon, yes, that's it. You can use these across a spectrum of tension techniques. I use small amounts of tension, basically just in sync with my natural breathing pattern, in the mornings. It's not just pushing down through the heel - there's a long list of ways to work on that position, with some attention to the bent leg and some to the spine as well as to the straight leg. Think of the cossack as a one-legged goblet squat - pry with the elbow inside the bent knee. Focus on going a little further as you exhale. Flex and extend the ankle, both positions of tension, and leave the foot in neutral as you exhale.

You also asked about splits:

After you've done the above cossack sequence, the next sequence is to work on martials arts splits to each side followed by a side split.

Waiting out the tension technique:

In the mornings as part of a warmup, you might wait out the tension but only briefly. It functions as a sort of gut check - do you own the position, can you relax in it? Not much contraction, and only a short relax.

On the other hand, if this is a serious session at the end of the day, go through several cycles of contract-relax and, when you're as far as you can go, stay there for a while.

Here's a good technique to try: use pillows (sofa cushions work great, ideally something not too soft) to raise your hips off the ground enough that you are in a perfect side split - perfect in every way except depth. That means your feet and hips will be in a line, not a V, and you'll be able to arch your lumbar (or at the very least keep it neutral, and certainly not rounded). Important: Use whatever support/insurance you need, e.g., do it in front of a wall or a sofa if you're worried about falling backwards, put a chair or low table in front of you - do whatever you need to feel comfortable and safe.

Then wait out the tension there - it's a different experience altogether to have your lumbar spine right where it should be, and you want to be sure to get high enough off the ground that you can do this. Watch a half-hour TV show, read a section of the newspaper or a short story - that kind of time. Get comfortable. :) 20-30 minutes is good - start off with 2-3 minutes and work up, and always remember that it will feel weird getting out of the split - that's perfectly normal and expected, so take your time.

If you do that once or twice a week, combined with other splits practice, you'll find that, over time, you look at that pile of sofa cushions and think about trying the whole thing just a little closer to the ground, and that's how you progress. You can even remove a cushion during a single session but it's best to have an assistant (in my case, my kind and generous wife) to do that for you.

Hope that helps, let me know.

-S-

would the janda muscles that tighten  be a good start, and if so are there any big bang gor your buck exercises to do?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom