all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Planks and blood pressure

I wonder if there is a difference between a squat and a squat, as in to say a basic bodyweight squat done by a novice trainee and a high tension loaded squat which is basically a part isometric, part dynamic.

I know that not too long ago isometrics were not recommended for hypertensive patients due to large BP spike. Layer research study demonstrated positive outcome just from doing isometric grip training (!).

More recent research demonstrated that if you breathe through an isometric hold the BP spike is no higher than with isotonics (and you generate more force on the exhale than with a Valsalva hold)- so the issue wasn't so much isometrics as people holding Valsalva through the entire hold.

here’s what they seemed to do for isometrics:

“isometric handgrip (IHG), isometric leg extension (ILE) and isometric wall squat (IWS) as IET subgroups. IET programmes commonly employ protocols of 4×2 min contractions, separated by 1–4 min rest intervals, performed three times a week. IHG is often prescribed at 30% maximum voluntary contraction, while IWS and ILE protocols are typically performed at 95% of the peak heart rate achieved during a laboratory-based maximal incremental isometric exercise test. The IWS may also be prescribed using a self-selected wall squat, with a knee joint angle that would elicit a rate of perceived exertion (RPE) of 3.5–4.5/10 for bout 1; RPE 5–6/10 for bout 2; RPE of 6.5–7.5/10 for bout 3 and RPE of 8–9/10 for bout 4.”

here’s what they seemed to do for isometrics:

“isometric handgrip (IHG), isometric leg extension (ILE) and isometric wall squat (IWS) as IET subgroups. IET programmes commonly employ protocols of 4×2 min contractions, separated by 1–4 min rest intervals, performed three times a week. IHG is often prescribed at 30% maximum voluntary contraction, while IWS and ILE protocols are typically performed at 95% of the peak heart rate achieved during a laboratory-based maximal incremental isometric exercise test. The IWS may also be prescribed using a self-selected wall squat, with a knee joint angle that would elicit a rate of perceived exertion (RPE) of 3.5–4.5/10 for bout 1; RPE 5–6/10 for bout 2; RPE of 6.5–7.5/10 for bout 3 and RPE of 8–9/10 for bout 4.”

So, wait, I need to be able to:

--Measure my voluntary contraction
--Measure my heart rate
--Track RPE
--Track time

Back
Top Bottom