all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong PlanStrong "In The Field" - Coming Up With a Plan Quickly

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I thought I'd share what I'm doing for my 2nd Prep cycle - I've had zero time or brain to prepare, and I finished my 1st Prep cycle last week.

Monday, two days ago, was my first sessions of the new cycle, and it was near the end of the day and I hadn't lifted at all, so time to roll out Plan B. Here's what I did: swap weeks, add 20% NL to everything. Explanation:

My initial plan was NL = 200. My new one is +20% or NL = 240

My initial plan had a very simple structure:
Code:
Volume:    16-22-28-34
Intensity: 22-16-34-28 (reverse pairs from volume variant)
[typo corrected "38" is now "28"]

All I'm doing this cycle is switching weeks 1 and 2 with each other, and weeks 3 and 4 with each other, and adding 20% to the NL for session. (And, as the spirit moves me, I'm sometimes switching days within a week, which doesn't really matter to the overall math.)

I don't have any 90%+ weights in the first week, so when next week rolls around, I'm going to vary my HARI by making the heaviest weight a little heavier for some/all of those lifts, but I'm not that concerned since I'm new to PlanStrong as a trainee, if I go up 20% in volume and don't change the HARI, it's still a good thing.

That's it - swap weeks, add 20% NL to everything.

-S-

Last edited:
Volume: 16-22-28-34
Intensity: 22-16-34-38 (reverse pairs from volume variant)

That looks interesting and like a simplified way without extra calculation. But could you explain the intensity portion from above. I don’t know are those representing.

I have been using a single intensity variant - I don't recall what the name of 22-15-35-28, but that's my intensity variant.

38 is a typo - supposed to be 28.

I decided to use 16-22-28-34 instead of 15-22-28-35, just because I liked the way the math worked out better. It's 18% instead of 20% between 27 and 34, so overall, it's slightly less variability, and I didn't see that as a bad thing for my first few PS cycles.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom