all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong PlanStrong-ing the Daily Dose Deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I assume most here are familiar with the Daily Dose Deadlift Plan

I've been following it, with minor modifications, leading up to each of my last few PL meets - it's done well for me and I'm doing it now in advance of a November 12 meet - that's about 4 weeks away.

I recently tried a PlanStrong-inspired modification - instead of the prescribed 75% weight on the bar (295 lbs. in my case), I did some at 70% and some at 80%. I do 6 singles per session, so instead of 75% x 6, I did

70% (275 lbs.) x 1
80% (315 lbs.) x 1, 1
70% x 1
80% x 1, 1

I'm pleased with how the session went and will do more of these. My intention was to find a way to raise the ARI/HARI without just putting more weight onto the bar. Just throwing this out there for comment in case someone thinks it's particularly good or bad, or wants to ask questions. The idea of 70 and 80% is that they are "different enough" - I tried 285 and 305, -10 and then +10 lbs., but those didn't feel different enough.

Thanks.

-S-

Hello Steve -- I've been mulling a similar idea around, but not at the level of detail you have, so this post is timely for me. Two questions: (1) I know it's only been a week or so but how is it working/how are you feeling? and (2) How many times have you run the daily dead lift dose consecutively? Thanks!

I really only did this once and haven't gotten back to it. I slightly tweaked my back after that workout. As is the case with me, a back tweak doesn't happen during a deadlift but happens as Robin McKenzie suggests, when sitting around afterwards. It turns out that the day I'd picked to try this experiment was also the first day of a big, annual volunteer project my wife and I are heavily involved in. I've recovered from the tweak and am back to lifting and on my schedule, and I have been trying to introduce a little more variety into my DDD sessions, but so far, no repeat of that one.

My meet is in a couple of weeks and I'm at the stage where I am very much into trusting my gut about what will best get me ready for the meet, and therefore not going to do this again before the meet unless it seems right to me. I do plan to return to it again, however.

-S-

@Dan M, I did this today again

70% x 2 double overhand grip
77.5% x 2 mixed grip, least favored
80% x 2 mixed grip, favored

I liked it. I'm going to try, since I lift Mon/Tue, Thu/Fri as a rule, doing one of each of my paired days @ 75%, and the other mixing between 70 and 80%. (The "x2" above were all singles with a reset at the bottom today: don't let go of the bar, but take a fresh breath before heading up again.) So tomorrow, probably 75%.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom