all posts post new thread

Powertech

DocMike

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Anyone here have a power tech station? I'm considering getting one to clear out 4 pieces of equipment in the home gym

I doubt anyone on this forum would have one since most people here are into free weights.
But...I just did a search online and it looks great, very sleek. I like the yellow one.
I wonder though, assuming you have a good reason for needing machine vs. barbells, you may need a very huge amount of plates to get a good workout since the action of plate loaded machines is so smooth.

I doubt anyone on this forum would have one since most people here are into free weights.
But...I just did a search online and it looks great, very sleek. I like the yellow one.
I wonder though, assuming you have a good reason for needing machine vs. barbells, you may need a very huge amount of plates to get a good workout since the action of plate loaded machines is so smooth.
Wrong. It will stomp a mudhole in you. I would say that I am one of the stronger pressers on here and it wears me out.

My training has just naturally migrated to machines over the past year. I wish I would have known how good they were years ago. I have been one of those that said machines won’t make you strong and they are easy work, what an idiot I have been.

For example I have only being using my Titan Chest Supported and my best is 235x7 reps. A friend of mine does some extremely heavy rows and was asking what some of my bests were. I didn’t really know but gave it a go. I ended up with 365x2 on snatch grip rows. Not super strict but not totally slop either.

The multipress and leg press are on my vision board.
I also considered the leg sled, but in the end I went with the Titan Lever Squat. So glad I did because I love everything about it.

I can be at my maximum weight in just a couple of minutes and I don’t have to wear knee sleeves or a belt either. When I barbell squat I had to rub down with atomic balm, wear knee sleeves and wear a belt. I don’t have to know and my legs get worked better now and without the aches and pains and all the other aggravating stuff. I don’t miss the barbell squats at all and to honest, could care less if I ever do one again.

With few exceptions, I do not use machines for the shoulder and pectoral muscles. Twice last year I injured my shoulder and could hardly lift a barbell for a month. Perhaps the reason is that when lifting, my trajectory makes a slight arc, which is impossible with the machine and contradicts my biomechanics. No matter what setting I do, I feel tension in my shoulders. Otherwise, I often use machines, especially for leg and back training.
Still, I'm of the opinion that increasing the power of the machines is beneficial, but it doesn't carry over much in a real-world setting. For example, if you had a shoulder press with a 50 kg barbell, and a 70 kg machine. and after a certain time the machine has reached 100 kg., it is very likely that the shoulder press, which you did not train, has increased slightly, or even decreased.
But the machines are gentler and with them you can train in a larger volume and recover better and faster.

With few exceptions, I do not use machines for the shoulder and pectoral muscles. Twice last year I injured my shoulder and could hardly lift a barbell for a month. Perhaps the reason is that when lifting, my trajectory makes a slight arc, which is impossible with the machine and contradicts my biomechanics. No matter what setting I do, I feel tension in my shoulders. Otherwise, I often use machines, especially for leg and back training.
Still, I'm of the opinion that increasing the power of the machines is beneficial, but it doesn't carry over much in a real-world setting. For example, if you had a shoulder press with a 50 kg barbell, and a 70 kg machine. and after a certain time the machine has reached 100 kg., it is very likely that the shoulder press, which you did not train, has increased slightly, or even decreased.
But the machines are gentler and with them you can train in a larger volume and recover better and faster.
I shall put that to the test.

My training has just naturally migrated to machines over the past year. I wish I would have known how good they were years ago.
Machines Vs Free Weights

Let's break this down...

Gym Machines

Here is...

1) The Value

They allow greater loading on the Primary Muscles in a Movement.

The limiting factor in a Free Weight Movement is the Smaller, Weaker Stabilizer Muscle are called into play.

Thus, the Primary Muscles are never completely OverLoad, which is one of the keys for Hypertrophy and Strength, as well.

"When The Back Says No And The Legs Say Go"

Hollie Evette, a National Rated Powerlifter and one of best Analytical Strength Coaches in the game wrote this article decades ago.

Evette went into how the Legs were never completely OverLoaded in the Squat. The Limiting Factor was the Back/Trunk Stabilizer Muscles which gave out long before the Legs did.

The Solution

Evette's article identified the problem and then provided Exercises that would resolve it. He prescribed Exercises that minimized the Stabilizers, placing the workload on the Legs with Modified Free Weight Movements.

With that in mind, Gym Machines and Exercises that minimize and take Stabilizer out of the equation elicit greater results for the Primary Muscle.

One method for individuals who have a Power Rack is...

Scrape The Rack Exercises

This method essentially turns a Power Rack into a Smith Machine; placing a greater OverLoad on the Primary Muscle and minimizing Stabilizer Muscles.

The Limit to the Scape The Rack Movements is your imagination.

2) The Downside

The benefit of Machines is also one of its Downsides.

Individual who do not incorporate Exercises that Develop Strength in the Stabilizer Muscle cannot perform optimally with Free Weight Exercises.

Free Weight Exercise are effective at training the Stabilizer Muscles; especially Unilateral Training and Dumbbell Exercises that require more involvement than when performing a Movement with a Barbell.

Summary

As Jeff noted, Machine definitely are effective for Hypertrophy and Strength Development.

Last edited:
Machines Vs Free Weights

Let's break this down...

Gym Machines

Here is...

1) The Value

They allow greater loading on the Primary Muscles in a Movement.

The limiting factor in a Free Weight Movement is the Smaller, Weaker Stabilizer Muscle are called into play.

Thus, the Primary Muscles are never completely OverLoad, which is one of the keys for Hypertrophy and Strength, as well.

"When The Back Says No And The Legs Say Go"

Hollie Evette, a National Rated Powerlifter and one of best Analytical Strength Coaches in the game wrote this article decades ago.

Evette went into how the Legs were never completely OverLoaded in the Squat. The Limiting Factor was the Back/Trunk Stabilizer Muscles which gave out long before the Legs did.

The Solution

Evette's article identified the problem and then provided Exercises that would resolve it. He prescribed Exercises that minimized the Stabilizers, placing the workload on the Legs with Modified Free Weight Movements.

With that in mind, Gym Machines and Exercises that minimize and take Stabilizer out of the equation elicit greater results for the Primary Muscle.

One method for individuals who have a Power Rack is...

Scrape The Rack Exercises

This method essentially turns a Power Rack into a Smith Machine; placing a greater OverLoad on the Primary Muscle and minimizing Stabilizer Muscles.

The Limit to the Scape The Rack Movements is your imagination.

2) The Downside

The benefit of Machines is also one of its Downsides.

Individual who do not incorporate Exercises that Develop Strength in the Stabilizer Muscle cannot perform optimally with Free Weight Exercises.

Free Weight Exercise are effective at training the Stabilizer Muscles; especially Unilateral Training and Dumbbell Exercises that require more involvement than when performing a Movement with a Barbell.

Summary

As Jeff noted, Machine definitely are effective for Hypertrophy and Strength Development.

Lou Simmons said that WSB had went 80% machine and 20% barbell work. He also said it lowered their injury rates significantly. If and when I am interested in transitioning it over to a barbell it won’t take much for me to tune it up.

Back
Top Bottom