all posts post new thread

Old Forum Priorities of a military athlete

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jerrybrown5081

Level 1 Valued Member
So, for those of you looking into the military or in it. This is something I put together based on my own experiences from being enlisted, thing's I've needed, and ways I've found to address them. I included a routine at the end as well that I'm using to prepare for special operations combat control. I posted the routine previously when I first conceived it but have altered it based on what I've seen work and not work so well. Hope this helps some guys out! And if any of the guys have more experience and have some advice on how to address the issues we face in the military I'd love to hear them!

Tasks of a military athlete

-Carry heavy things, on back, shoulders and in hands

Carrying and working under a continued load is a huge aspect of military life. You carry your vest, helmet, ruck, ammo cans, weapons, and whatever other devilish “required equipment” is thrown at you. Learning to operate under a continuous load and being able to carry objects is essential

-Traveling long distances, running, rucking or swimming

An aerobic base is crucial, there are many times you’ll march or swim several miles to an insert point. And I’ve definitely needed to run my a#@ long distances to objectives when s*** isn’t going as planned. And things never go as planned.

-Support weapons firing positions

Moving while holding a heavy a#@ rifle in an accurate firing position for extended periods of time is a crucial skill of the military athlete.

-Climbing and crawling through and over obstacles

You need to be able to pull yourself over things, drag yourself and gear low to the ground, push over walls, jump and maneuver all sorts of obstacles.

-Picking up and carrying personnel

If I get shot my teammates had better be able to pick my a#@ up and carry me the f*** out.

-Sprinting, running swimming and rucking

During a fire fight you need to be able to move between cover fast, you may have your ruck you may not. In the military you never know when you’ll need speed.

-Fighting and combatives

Hand to hand is a important aspect of the military requiring strong core, rotational strength, upper body strength, grip, neck and conditioning.

-Hiking and running steep inclines, negotiating hills and mountains

Key terrain is always up the hills, and significantly harder to get to then anything else. Running up a steep incline will smoke you like you wouldn’t believe.

Addressing the concerns

The first concern with a military athlete is carrying things. This requires great strength and endurance mostly in the shoulders and back, while moving with it there’s significant stress on the legs as well. In addition, being forced to carry objects works the grip intensely.

Concern two, aerobic base. The military athlete must be able to swim, run and ruck long distances without burning themselves out.

Three, weapon firing positions. This requires immense core and shoulder stability. Tactical get ups from prone positions are crucial as well.

Climbing and crawling through obstacles is important. In addition to working on basic movement fundamentals, the military athlete needs pulling and pushing strength to maneuver obstacles, all the way through the fingers. A strong one rep max is important and being able to perform while exhausted is crucial.

Picking someone up while requires a mixture of deadlifting and squatting personnel, then traveling for distance with them on your back which smokes your legs and shoulders! Heavy emphasis on squatting and deadlifting strength as well as lower body endurance.

Short distance and high intensity running and swimming is crucial. Sprints and high intensity runs/swims for shorter distances.

Hand to hand requires massive strength and muscular endurance. Rotational power and pressing is crucial for throwing a punch, grip, pulling and neck strength for wrestling. Abdominals are the glue that brings it all together.

Steep inclines are a must, with gear preferably as well.

Training necessities

From this, we see a few different things.

Grip, abdominal and shoulder strength, stability and endurance are hugely overlooked and absolutely crucial for the military athlete.

A solid base of cardio in swimming, running and rucking is necessary, this needs to include a solid aerobic base.

Leg strength is important, however the majority of leg-focused work is endurance based from rucking, steep inclines and swimming with fins.

Strength for pulling and pressing, as well as hip hinge and squatting is necessary.

Movements to accomplish this

As with anything, the more minimal a program is the better, it will give us more energy to focus on the core aspects. However military athletes are very diverse and need a lot of capabilities. Fortunately there are some great movements that address these.

To start with, the shoulders. Obviously stability and strength are going to be crucial. Strength in the shoulders is best maintained by the clean and press. The power variation of this is the clean and jerk. In addition, two other movements provide a lot of stimulus, specifically to stabilizing and holding static positions. The snatch press and Turkish get up. While we’re talking about shoulders, its important to note that these are mainly pressing exercises. There are two other pressing exercises that we’ll mention here that aren’t as huge of a focus on shoulders (They’ll still help though!) These are the pushup and the dip. The dip is a crucial element mainly for maneuvering obstacles, punching strength and just making a well rounded athlete. Pushups are great for whole body stabilization, endurance, and are testable in the military.

We’ll now focus on the opposite of this, pulling. Being able to climb, low crawl, drag personnel, fight, these are all huge with pulling strength and endurance. The main movement we’ll focus on for pulling is the pull-up. Mainly we’ll use weight for this. There are several variations, but the main one we’ll use is with the palms facing out. This will help create a very strong back for supporting heavy loads in addition to the shoulder work as well! In addition to these, towel pull ups or rope climbs if available are going to be worked in.

The next area to address is the lower spectrum of the combat chassis, the legs.  Leg endurance is a must, however, its crucial to know there is no endurance without strength first! Unfortunately though, the legs are more prone to overtraining than anything else due to the large volume of running, fin swimming and rucking, so a careful balance must be maintained. The movement of choice is simple, the squat. This could be weighted squats or the pistol squat, both are important and effective choices. Lunges are important as well but are addressed in the Turkish get up. The burpee is great for anaerobic and power work as well and should have a place, besides, it’s a cadre favorite!

Hip hinges are the jelly to the squats peanut butter. A strong spine and hips are going to be the core of carrying weight for so damn long! Like squats, we need strength and endurance. There are a few staples with this, one is the deadlift. Nothing, and I mean nothing, will build raw strength like the deadlift. In addition to the deadlift the kettlebell swing is incredible. It will sculpt a powerful spine that can endure a beating. Working bridges in is a good idea as well.

The core is the glue, it’s what ties all of them together and the most important of them all! Fortunately, all of the above exercises tend to put a lot of work on the core! Oh the benefits of training practical movements! However, we need the strongest core around, and some extra work is needed! There are several isometric movements we will work with. At the lower level there are planks, dead bugs etc. At the higher end are L sits, Planche, front and back levers. These will help with the cores primary job, stability! In addition, the core needs to be able to move and move strongly! Hanging leg raises will provide a tremendous core workout. Situps aren’t great but testable so don’t forget them. Dragon flags do a great job of working movement and stability at the same time and are an excellent exercise.

The lateral and rotational aspects of the core must be worked as well. Human flags do a great job, as well as isometric holds with exercise bands. Other than that, Russian twists and lateral tosses are phenomenal.

The neck, if you’ve worn a Kevlar helmet for long periods or wrestled, you know how important that is. Use wrestling bridges to strengthen it.

Grip, one of the most overlooked aspects of a good program. Fingertip pushups, hanging from a bar, crush grips and heavy carries! Heavy carries are going to smoke your entire body and are possibly the most important thing you’ll do! Firemans carries, farmers carries and sometimes overhead carries, learn to love em!

With the strength side addressed, the next largest concern is the bodies energy systems. The military athlete must be able to swim with fins and gear, run, and ruck for long distances and short distances. To start, the athlete must build a large aerobic base. You must be able to perform activities for long distance without taxing the body too much.

After aerobic capacity, anaerobic work is crucial. This is high intensity and fast paced, anything from running a couple clicks to short 10 second sprints, you need to be good at it!

Here is my routine I'm following to prepare for Combat Control. To add onto this, simply add more aerobic energy sessions, either running, swimming or rucking depending on what you're weak on. Play it by ear and make sure you're recovering properly, this isn't designed for a beginner, it has a large amount of volume that most beginners couldn't handle.

Military Performance

Monday-Saturday Morning

15 minutes

Deep Squat Breathing 10 breaths

Belly Lift 5 breaths

Lunge w/ recip 3 per leg

Left Crawl Breathing 5 breaths

Bear Crawl

Abdominal Isometrics (L sit, Planche, Front and Back Lever, Headstand, Palloff Iso)

Grip work

Neck work

Every Night

30 minutes

Relax Into Stretch

Meditation

Grease the Groove

Monday-Friday

Push-ups 40%-50% of max 5 times a day

Pull-ups 40%-50% of max 5 times a day

Belly lift 5 breaths 5 times a day

Water Confidence

Perform during lunch for training days, can be done extra or for active recovery

Under waters

Mask and snorkel recovery

Bobbing and flips

Float and travel

Buddy breathing

10 ups

Monday

ENDURANCE

AM Swimming

Warm up drills

200m of

Close fist drill, kickboard, catch up, pull only

2x200m freestyle, rest 25s per 200m

4x100m freestyle, rest 20s per 100m

4x50m freestyle, rest 15s per 50m

2x200m finning, rest 25s per 200m

4x100m finning, rest 20s per 100m

4x50m finning, rest 15s per 50m

Treading water 10-20 minutes

STRENGTH

PM

A1 Kettlebell Clean and Press 5x5

A2 Weighted Pull-ups 5x5

B1 Pistol Squats 5 sets

C1 Kettlebell Snatch 5x5

C2 Hanging Leg Raise 5 sets

D1 Human Flags 2 per side

E1 Farmers Walk 2 sets

Finish with 10, 10 second sprints with tire or up hill

Tuesday

ENDURANCE

Running

Interval run; 6-12 400-800m runs at about 1:30 per ¼ mile, rest 2-3 minutes between runs

Wednesday

ENDURANCE

AM Swimming

Warm up drills

200m of

Interval swims, either 8x250, 4x500, 2-3 minutes rest between swims.

STRENGTH

PM

A1 Deadlift 4x5

B1 Weighted Dips 5x5

B2 Weighted pull ups 5x5

C1 Front Squat 4x5

D1 Get ups 5x3 per side

D2 Rotational Toss 10 per side

E1 Farmers Walk 2 sets

Thursday

ENDURANCE

PM Running

4-8 mile fartlek run; heart rate below 155, sprint at 85% intensity for 10-30 seconds every 3-5 minutes

Friday

ENDURANCE

AM Running

High intensity run, 1.5 to 4 miles at 95% intensity

STRENGTH

PM

A1 Kettlebell Single Arm Clean and Jerk 10 minutes

B1 Hanging Leg Raises 5 sets

C1 Pull-ups 100 reps

C2 Burpees 20 reps every time you stop doing pull-ups

D1 Kettlebell Swings, sets of 10 with 100yd jog in between sets for recovery, push it out!

E1 Fireman’s Carry 2 sets

Saturday

ENDURANCE

PM Swimming

Warm up drills

200m of

2000-3000m of freestyle or finning

PM Rucking

4-8 mile ruck, 30-60 lbs. between 135-150 heart rate

Sunday

ACTIVE RECOVERY

Water confidence, light tire drags, hike, play sports etc. 30-60 minutes

DON’T OVERTRAIN, GET YOUR SLEEP, EAT HEALTHY

Jerry,

I will first thank you for taking the time to do this so that others might benefit.

My comments turn on this idea: training for a recruit, a typical Soldier, a selection course, and the typical operator requires a different set of goals, and a least 2-3 different training strategies.  That you specified CCT prep is noted, but also let the reader know that this might not be the best way to train for the general military athlete.

- your analysis is far more complex than it has to be... lots of superfluous points made, and categories developed; e.g., if swings provide most of the pulling strength of the deadlift why do both?

- getting stronger and more aerobic are two very important points you made that I agree with... how you go about it is questionable.  You have very little actual aerobic training listed, and this is the foundation of ANYone's development.

- in this context, swimming is a lot more about technique than S&C... a swim coach can do a lot more for you than swim "training"

- anaerobic training is highly overrated and used way outside of its applicable context

- this is not a minimalist program.  If you rethink your categories of the required skills and adaptations, and "put the body back together" in your analysis, you can do away with some of the above.

Again, I applaud your work and will not discount it, but you seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel.

Al,

Thank you very much for the insight! Why would you recommend against the anaerobic training? I frequently have to sprint for short periods of time between cover or even up to a a few hundred meters. As for the swim training, I do agree it's mostly technique, but especially with things like finning it's important to develop conditoning in the movement. I'm trying to slowly add on weekly slow distance runs as well to increase the mileage.

If you don't mind, how would you go about fixing the issues you highlighted? I would love your insight on it! Always trying to learn more from more experienced people so that my methods can be more effective! Both for my personal training and the people whom I work with. Thanks!

Jerry,

Oh... that was bait, and I bit ;]

I am not against anaerobic training, but your entire plan is founded on it.  If you build your aerobic conditioning, everything else will follow in suit.  Don't LSD for more mileage, per se, do it for longer duration, just make sure that it is, "aerobic".  Overhead presses and swings provide you with much of the benefits that you sectioned out into other categories, so why do more?

Just rethink your ideas, and read... all of this stuff is on this site already.

Al,

Not baiting anyone sir!!! I appreciate the insight though, I've researched and worked with numerous coaches on tactical strength and conditioning for years now and am getting my TSAC certification through the NSCA right now. Best way to learn is from listening to more experienced individuals who've been working in the field! My systems work, however if there are ways to make them work better I'm always all ears to it!

Kettlebells in a newer system to me, so switching to try them out in my programs has been interesting. They definetly seem a lot more effective for my profession though. However i've been hesitant about getting away from some of my old staples like heavy deads. I'll definetly switch them out with more swings though, most of the things I use that hip hinge for are more endurance based anyways, carrying heavy loads up mountains and s***. That'll tear up your back real quick!  I worked in the dips as well to focus more on the other spectrum of the pressing muscles, obviously dips work a different direction of movement and both are used by a military athlete. I had concerns as to whether presses alone would effectively train strength for that as well and couldn't find much on it.

Looking overy it as well, I think the swings and such probably provide plenty of anaerobic work. Definetly a good idea to switch some of the high intensity runs and swims to long and slow runs, rucks and swims.

My impression is that you add different ideas. So you have GTG push ups and pull ups daily plus presses and pull ups in your strength session. This seems like an overkill. Two upper body exercises for GTG is already not ideal, but one should plan the regular strength sessions accordingly to avoid fatigue.

On another note. Shouldn't girevoy sport be quite ideal for military.  I think I remember Pavel writing about this in his early works and I saw some russian military girevoy sport competitions on YouTube. It appears to fit the profile (shoulder and back that never give up. Plenty of work capacity). The sport anyway requires aerobic training plus some loaded carries and one should be good to go. Or am I wrong here?

Leon, absolutely! This is one of the main reasons I've been switching over to kettlebells for my own training and the people I work with, its definetly a different world on implementing them though, hence why I've been seeking advice on the specifics with this routine. As far as the gtg movements, these are more done for practice, the priority being the pushups. These are both testable and must be maintained, the practical carryour is very little though compared to something like a get up.

I definetly agree with what everyone's saying though, Im thinking of switching it to focus on get ups, swings and some pressing and pull up work, get rid of a lot of the fluff, maybe occasional squat and heavy carries to compliment it.

So, after discussing this with you guys, these are the movements I'm thinking about. The numbers is how many times per week I'd be performing them. I'll figure out the specifics of reps/sets later.

Per week

Get up x 2
Swing x2
Snatch x1
Pull up x3
Press x2
Squat x2
Hanging leg raise x2
Heavy carry x2

Aerobic ruck x2
Aerobic swim x2
Aerobic run x2
Anaerobic run x1
Anaerobic swim x1

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom