all posts post new thread

Old Forum Program check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tuomas

First Post
G'day all,

Just wanted to check with you guys if what I'm doing is breaking some sort of Pavel's law, or if it will actually work. Goals are simple: stop being weak and get healthy back and shoulders.

Saturday: Heavy ladder (C&P + Pullups)
Sunday: Off
Monday: S&S
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Medium ladder
Thursday: S&S
Friday: Off

I also do 3x5 squats after ladders.

What do you think? Keep at it or do something else?

Thanks

In the abstract, this looks fine to me, although you don't say what kind of squats you mean or how you will program the load (S&S already includes squats in the warm up). But in reality, you may want to define your goals a little more clearly.

For your stated general goals, you really don't need anything other than S&S. And if you are pursuing the S&S goals for swings and get ups, you will reach them faster by sticking to S&S.

Or do you specifically want to get better at presses and pullups? If so, why not do straight ROP, which can include squats and get ups (light) as part of your warm up, and/or on variety days (which can be heavier, but low volume)?

Looks to me like S&S by the book will more than fulfill your goals.

What weight are you using for S&S? You are probably having the issue that I occasionally have and just want more variety. Set a well defined goal, like the simple goal from S&S, and when you reach it, change to something with more variety. Pavels Force Recon workout is one of my favorite routines for it's variety. It has squats, pull ups, clean and press, and about everything else you ever wanted to add to S&S.

But S&S will definitely do everything you need it to. IMO

Thanks for the replies.

Reading again what I wrote, that was indeed a terrible description of my goals so let me try again.

I only started the above a week ago. Main goals are to get stronger in presses,  pullups and front squats (so basically to do a program until I can train presses with a 32kg), and also to do swings as much as possible, purely because it's such an awesome exercise. And tbh, "boring"/simple is something I could use at the moment, so the ladders seem like a great option for the presses and pullups.

As for the get ups, they're not as important as the above, so I could leave them out or just do them as part of my warmup.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

If presses and pull ups are two of your main goals then why not try RoP? It'll give you one more day a week of work on those lifts, and plenty of time for swings. You can slot in front squats on the variety days.

Hello Tuomas Lehikoinen,

I only started the above a week ago. Main goals are to get stronger in presses, pullups and front squats (so basically to do a program until I can train presses with a 32kg), and also to do swings as much as possible, purely because it’s such an awesome exercise.

Just to clarify, are you talking about front squats with a barbell or with kettle bells? I think the Rite of Passage would fit your goals very well. Squats would be done on variety days as Andy McLaughlin said. I highly recommend anyone to add a squat variation there anyway. I've also had success adding a brief squat workout after presses with one of my clients on a program very similar to RoP.

Good luck.

Thanks for your replies Andy and Stefan!

Front squats would be done with a barbell, as I haven't got enough kettlebells for that.

I shall do what you all basically said and do RoP and do squats on the variety days.

Thanks a lot everybody!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom