all posts post new thread

Programming the trap bar

TimStanley

Level 1 Valued Member
Wondering how people programme the trap bar. I have one at home with two handle heights. I don’t have a rack at the moment or or a standard barbell.
I was wondering if your could program the trap deadlift as you would barbell back squat? Say 3 sets of 5 three times a week using linear progression? Or will this lead to overtraining and should it be treated like a deadlift where intensity and volume is scaled back to reduced fatigue and risk of injury. I am aware that a trap bar deadlift is a hinge pattern and not a squat. I’m just trying to develop a programme I can base around the trap bar for the next few months. Many thanks and sorry if this has been asked before.

Why not just do PTTP deadlift with it with some sort of press and linearly progress? Then you could do it in about 10-15 minutes everyday until it gets too heavy.
I like this approach. I’m already heading into heavy territory - 2x body weight lifts with the lower handles. Would you continue pttp at this point or scale back a bit? Thanks

I like this approach. I’m already heading into heavy territory - 2x body weight lifts with the lower handles. Would you continue pttp at this point or scale back a bit? Thanks
I would go by feel as you progress with the sets of 5 on PTTP. If you feel like you need to scale back a bit then do that, if you feel like you are strong and can chase some more weight do that. Just listen to your body. There is basically three approaches in PTTP 1. Linear, 2. Step Load, and 3. Wave Load. I would let your body tell you which to do. I was personally just linear progressing for a few weeks. Then I reached a weight that didn't feel as smooth as I would have liked. At that point, I decided to step load that weight because I know I can keep adding weight with sets of 5. If the weight gets heavy where I truly fail five reps, I might wave the load and back off some weight and go back up again with wave loading, step or linear progression. Either way I think it is a really solid program. Here is a video that breaks it down very well. Hope it helps.

I've run through Daily Dose Deadlift three times now with the trap bar. I program it just like I would barbell deadlifts. I know it's not the same exercise. I just like picking heavy stuff off the floor and the trap bar helps with my knees and back.

I would go by feel as you progress with the sets of 5 on PTTP. If you feel like you need to scale back a bit then do that, if you feel like you are strong and can chase some more weight do that. Just listen to your body. There is basically three approaches in PTTP 1. Linear, 2. Step Load, and 3. Wave Load. I would let your body tell you which to do. I was personally just linear progressing for a few weeks. Then I reached a weight that didn't feel as smooth as I would have liked. At that point, I decided to step load that weight because I know I can keep adding weight with sets of 5. If the weight gets heavy where I truly fail five reps, I might wave the load and back off some weight and go back up again with wave loading, step or linear progression. Either way I think it is a really solid program. Here is a video that breaks it down very well. Hope it helps.

This is great. Thank you!

I was wondering if your could program the trap deadlift as you would barbell back squat?
Programming

I don't program it any differently than a barbell.

Squat or Deadlift

I am aware that a trap bar deadlift is a hinge pattern and not a squat.,

Not necessarily....

It can be a squat, it can be a hinge,
Low or High Handle

As per Chris Thibaudeau...

The body is put in the same mechanical position as the squat, which makes it a great quads and glutes exercise. And involves the upper back and traps just as much as the deadlift.

The high handle allow you to use more weight which means more stimulation on the upper back and traps but a bit less emphasis on the glutes and hams.

The lower handle is a great way to build the whole lower body: glutes, quads and hams specifically. But since you use a bit less weight it doesn't overload the traps as much.

I love my trap bar. I use it with Easy Strength. It's a great way to pull without taxing my lower back. It's also awesome for Farmers Walks!

My trap bar is quite nice and a highly functional piece of equipment.

But I'll never love it.

It doesn't have the artistry, finish and aesthetics of a top tier barbell.

It has no meaningful history or culture.

The sleeves don't even spin, for Pete's sake.

I can't hear the bearings whirrr.

I can't get center knurl rash on my chest and traps.

Or choke myself into nearly passing out in a front rack.

Trap bar is cool. You can do Bent Rows, Deadlifts and Farmers Walks. I guess you plug it in as you would those movements.
This is my approach. I use the TB to add variety to my training...farmers walks, block pulls, jumps...but I wouldn't say I "program" it per se.

Programming

Squat or Deadlift

Not necessarily....

Low or High Handle

As per Chris Thibaudeau...

The body is put in the same mechanical position as the squat, which makes it a great quads and glutes exercise. And involves the upper back and traps just as much as the deadlift.

The high handle allow you to use more weight which means more stimulation on the upper back and traps but a bit less emphasis on the glutes and hams.

The lower handle is a great way to build the whole lower body: glutes, quads and hams specifically. But since you use a bit less weight it doesn't overload the traps as much.
Thanks for this. I was just going off Greg Nuckols article on the squat hinge continuum Trap Bar Deadlifts are Underrated sounds good though

Combined with presses and chin ups, the trap bar is a very versatile tool. I use it as my main lift all the time. You essentially get a device that allows for a much more biomechanically correct form of deadlifts or rack pulls. You can even use them as some form of easy squat too if you want. Currently running Easy Strength and alternate them with SSB squats as the big lift, every other day. Might have found a way to work squats into ES doing this.

Back
Top Bottom