all posts post new thread

Old Forum programming

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tigheguy

Level 5 Valued Member
I have beyond bodybuilding, purposeful primitive, power to the people, easy strength and intervention.

I am looking into starting strength, Jim wendler 5/3/1, Deadlift Dynamite, or power to the people professional. I have been mainly training with kettlebells for a long time now 7+ years and looking to change directions for a little bit. I no all the books are great in there own way and will help me out, I am just looking for opinions of what people thought about each or any of the books on the list?

thank you

"Looking to change directions" is a little vague. Based on the books you're looking at it sounds like you're looking to move into barbell training. What are your goals?

That's my plan as I've done mostly kettlebells for a long time now and craving some barbell work, my goals are basically strength in deadlifts and squats. Might stay away from benching for now due to shoulder issues. But more looking for what people think about these books overall I've read reviews about each one and theres pros and cons to each. Just looking into the strongfirst community for some better guidence.

Go with 5/3/1.  I loved it, don't overanalyze the assistance work.  My assistance work was doing pullups in between sets of everything, some dips and some rows.

I love Starting Strength as a starting program. Since you've been training for 7+ years you should progress fast on deadlifts and Power Cleans and the added bench pressing and squatting should be helpful to your overall athletic development. Since Mark believes that all 5 movements are fundamental to athletics (and life in general) he spends a long time teaching and explaining each move. The DVD is really helpful also since he takes a large group and basically teaches you by teaching them; think if you were learning in a group setting most people learn well from watching the visual and cue feedback. It usually takes most people 6 months to a year to max out the beginner progression then you can literally do any program you want. Since you like kettlebells and I assume you don't play a sport 5/3/1 should work well. After the warm up and main lift you can use whatever assistance exercises you want. Jim recommends condition heavily throughout the book and his program has variations and suggestions on how to adjust the program to meet you.

I have used both successfully in the past but due to non-weightlifting injuries I have lost all of the gains from both programs. Oh and F.Y.I. the starting strength website has a great forum where you can search for help, get a form check via video, or ask Rip any questions you have as long as they haven't been asked before because he will just tell you to not be lazy and search. For 5/3/1 Jim made his forum pay to play so your best bet for questions to him are on T-nation where in their training forum they have 5/3/1 section and I know for a fact he is on there frequently since I asked him a question today about military training and he got right back to me.

Good luck!

thank you for all the help that was pretty much what i was looking for peoples experiences with these programs

From an upcoming article of mine:

Jim Gaffigan is one of my favorite comedians. I can’t even think about the foodstuff called “Hot Pockets” without going into one of his riffs. He has this great insight on the Mecca of Mexican food, Indiana:

“Mexican food’s great, but it’s essentially all the same ingredients, so there’s a way you’d have to deal with all these stupid questions. “What is nachos?” “…Nachos? It’s tortilla with cheese, meat, and vegetables.” “Oh, well then what is a burrito?” “Tortilla with cheese, meat, and vegetables.” “Well then what is a tostada?” “Tortilla with cheese, meat, and vegetables.” “Well then what i-” “Look, it’s all the same s--t! Why don’t you say a Spanish word and I’ll bring you something.”

You see, I see training people the same way. You want to play in the NFL? Good, then we have to do:

Pushes

Pulls

Hinges

Squats

Loaded Carries

Everything else, but mostly groundwork

Feel free to make it as complex and unsuccessful as you like, or just focus on taking care of business and thrive.

"Feel free to make it as complex and unsuccessful as you like, or just focus on taking care of business and thrive."

I will steal this in the near future.....

Honestly, if you have Easy Strength that's probably enough. Follow the principles in there and you will have a rock solid training program. If you do not have experience with barbell lifts then find a trusted trainer and meet with her/him. Starting Strength provides a ton of info on the basic barbell lifts, but that does not replace learning from an experienced trainer.

Hello scott tighe,

I like all the books you mentioned for different reasons. Am I reading you correct in that you're a newbie when it comes to the barbell lifts? If so there's no need to complicate things. Go to the gym, hit your fives, add weight next week, repeat.

Good luck.

I'm not a newbie but stayed away from barbell lifts for some time, I have practiced deadlifts but not much of the back squats or bench press.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom