all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Progress Forced Changes

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I've been reading about fast-twitch (FT) and slow-twitch (ST) muscle differences a little and one of the takeaways has been that FT take longer to recover. As you've become stronger and more powerful, have you noticed a significant shift in your ability to recover, forcing you to reduce volume, frequency, or intensity? Is there perhaps value in taking sets to failure to keep/shift more ST when it comes to increasing work capacity?

Interesting. Recovery does feel slightly different to me lately, training more Olympic lifts (mostly FT I would guess). But I would not say it's significant. The main thing is slowly increasing the volume of training (and the weights) at a rate the body can recovery from.

I still do walking, running, and cycling for ST.

To my understanding training ST fibers will help with work capacity due to their ability to increase mitochondrial density .Yes on your question about needing to be more careful with waving work load as strength/fitness increases. Getting smoked can be fun in moderation, but as a training modality for a student I probably would not program it unless they had an event that was going to smoke them and they needed the practice or to simulate that environment.

Hello,

I think that regarding the FT, yes we can come to a point where we have to wave intensity / volume / frequency.

For instance, it may be true, when we consider the swing portion of S&S when we go beyond Simple. Usually, we reduce frequency to 2 or 3 sessions a week, volume and intensity being constant. On the other hand, programs such as RoP wave both intensity and volume, but maintains frequency from the beginning to the end.

However, I noticed that training the ST, no matter the protocol (rucking, LSD, swimming, etc...) really increases my FT ability to recover faster. The curious thing is that the reverse is not that true.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've been reading about fast-twitch (FT) and slow-twitch (ST) muscle differences a little and one of the takeaways has been that FT take longer to recover

Yes and No

There are multiple factors when it come to recovery.

1) Large Muscle take longer to recover than smaller muscles (Research Dr Fred Hatfield)

2) Eccentric Component Exercises

Exercises like Squat, Pressing, etc that have an Eccentric Component, require more recovery time.

3) Concentric Component Exercise

a) Riding A Bike

Exercises like riding a bike only have a Concentric Component; there is not Eccentric Component.

Thus, greater recovery time occurs from riding a bike than running. There is an enormous Eccentric Component to running.

Running produce Eccentric load of 3 - 5 time body weight with each foot fall. A 200 lb person would encounter 600 to 1,000 pound of Eccentric Force with each foot fall. Multiple that by the number of foot falls in running a mile.

b) Olympic Lifts/Movements

Olympic Lifts/Movements are primarily have a Concentric Component.

There is very little if any Eccentric Component, dependent on the movement performed.

That is one of the reason that Olympic Lifters are able to train those lift with more frequency and volume.

Is there perhaps value in taking sets to failure to keep/shift more ST when it comes to increasing work capacity?

Increasing Work Capacity

For Maximum Strength and Power Training increasing work capacity is best accomplished with increasing Tonnage.

Training to failure with moderate to high repetitions of moderate to low loads is effective at increasing muscle mass.

However, it comes at the expense of a decrease in Maximum Strength, Power and Speed.

Dr Jonathan Oliver's Cluster Set Hypertrophy Training allowed athletes to gain muscle without sacrificing those Strengths.

As someone said, "Bodybuilders look like Tarzan and lift like Jane". That usually lights them up; even though it's a that when only employing Hypertrophy Training.

Last edited:
The one factor that really stands out for me when it comes to recovery time is how close to failure I come with one of the prime muscle groups being trained, and how many overlapping movement patterns are being used in a movement. If you consider the rest of your muscle mass that isn't actively being used is a reservoir for recovery, the more "compound" the movement the less recovery capacity you have no matter how you train.

FT recover primarily due to excess ATP recharge in the mitochondria, via lipid or glycolytic pathway. Glycolytic pathway also clears inorganic phosphate from the muscle, a major by-product of PCr pathway and the major cause of muscle fatigue.

Ultimately if you only train a lot of FT protocol you are probably decreasing your recovery at higher intensities/longer durations, but I doubt it is from a shift in fiber type and more from a shift in enzyme profile.

The FPP is a good example of the difference with an advanced athlete. A tree climbing bug eater that can do 25 reps does not program
25-24-23-22-21.

I've been reading about fast-twitch (FT) and slow-twitch (ST) muscle differences a little and one of the takeaways has been that FT take longer to recover. As you've become stronger and more powerful, have you noticed a significant shift in your ability to recover, forcing you to reduce volume, frequency, or intensity? Is there perhaps value in taking sets to failure to keep/shift more ST when it comes to increasing work capacity?

That depends entirely on HOW you train the FT fibres. If you emphasize the negative portion of the lift then definitely (although this portion is hugely beneficial for hypertrophy). If you train lifts with next to no negative portion of a lift (like power cleans and KB swings) then you can recover faster and train again sooner.

Regardless there will be a need to build up your work capacity. Like with all things. Also just because you built up a high capacity when working your aerobic threshold doesn't mean that your work capacity working the fast/slow twitch fibres specifically is high.

You can also train lifts FAST. Plyometrics are a great example of this. However care should be taken as they can take a tole on the body.

Working to failure with a relatively heavy weight will work both types of muscle fibres. The majority of the adaptations that happen are between the muscle fibres, with all other adaptations being very slow to develop.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom