all posts post new thread

Old Forum Prying Goblet Squat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DHK1001

Level 5 Valued Member
I really like this move to open up my hips. Are there any books that focus on similar strategy for other areas? I saw Loaded Stretching and Strength Stretching, but I'm not clear on what those two are offering.

Thanks!

I got say from your OP I found it difficult to clearly know what you are looking for?

Im guessing you need/ want to increase your flexibility?

Best Resources in my opinion on Flexibility.

1) Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz

2) Relax into Stretch by Pavel

3) Flexible steel by Jon Engrum.

Stick with them Goblet Squats! :)

Thanks for your reply!

I have RIS and Flexible Steel is apparently that author's interpretation of RIS. I've "read" Stretching Scientifically, but it isn't what I'm looking for either.

The Prying Goblet Squat uses the weight of the KB to increase the effects of the stretch. It's the use of the external force that I'm curious about. Stretches where holding a weight in a certain position would help. I'm more interested in the strategy than just a list of stretches. I've found some sites that list stretches that are supposed to be similar to the Prying Goblet Squat, but was hoping to get something more comprehensive.

Pavel's Loaded Stretching and Strength Stretching seem to be along the lines of the Prying Goblet Squat, but I am unsure. Loaded Stretching seems to be more so than the Strength Strecthing.

Hank, the arm bar, which you can learn from an SFG is one such exercise.  A number of others are covered in Return of the Kettlebell.

Does a video exist showing this exercise. I have ebook of Simple and Sinister and looking for video demo of the movements to help with smaller nuances of positions.

This Pat Flynn video is my favorite.  I like the "pull yourself down into the squat" cue and his form is perfect as far as I can tell (I'm a novice so fwiw).

Hank, the weight in the Goblet Squat is more than just weight on the stretched position - it's a counter-balance to the tendency to fall backwards and the tendency to round the torso in response to a fear of falling backwards.

You can apply the principle  - of using a weight to help with a stretch - to some powerlifts or their variations, e.g., dumbbell bench press, barbell back squats, but these things are only for those whose technique is solid and have very clear understanding of what is and isn't an appropriate weight to use.  You would, for instance, never want to do this in a barbell back squat if you have a tendency to round your lower back at the bottom.

Another example, and I believe this comes from the original Russian Kettlebell Challenge book, is to pause at the top of your kettlebell military press and lean forward from the shoulder.  It's a sort of standing arm bar.  Note that you don't let the weight move backwards, you just press forward from the shoulder.

-S-

Omar, the FTW squat is easier with a counter-balance.  I wouldn't weight it - you adjust the distance between your toes and the wall to adjust the level of difficulty, and if you can do it with your toes against the wall, you can also adjust the stance width - narrower is harder, straighter feet is harder.

-S-

Re FTW squats (which I love). I'm a little leery to straighten out the feet too much, as I'm an overpronating duck-foot, with them pointing at 11 and 1-o'clock.  Ought I pay more attention to where my knees are pointing?  I kinda adopted that line of thinking on my own with the ETK video, but never bothered to get it validated by anyone higher up the food chain.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom