all posts post new thread

Old Forum Prying Goblet Squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crt1

Level 5 Valued Member
If you have a high degree of hip flexibility, are prying goblet squats as prescribed in S&S beneficial? I feel like my knees and feet get so wide and pointed outward that the squat feels really strange on my lower back and hips. It feels great when I am in the hole prying, but squatting up/down just feels not right in some way, especially with the 32. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Why are your knees and feet very wide and pointed outward? These are more typically compensations for a LACK of flexibility.

I would agree that the more mobile you are, the more marginal the benefits of prying, but it's good maintenance in any case and there are a lot of subtle things you can explore by moving around and prying in the bottom of a squat.

I"m just a little confused by your reference to an uncomfortably wide stance and large turnout.

Do prying goblet squats with your most comfortable squat stance. Shoulder width, with feet slightly turned out is a good starting point. Another starting point guideline is jumping vertically three times and using the stance you land in on the third jump as a starting point. Then make adjustments from there.

I agree with Steve on the positioning and possible implications of why you're choosing that position.  I'd also add that "something doesn't feel right" means you're not truly stabilizing in the bottom position.  Does your lower back round? Chest collapse? Can you do a good goblet squat using Steve's cues with a lighter bell?

A video would help provide more feedback.

Thanks for the replies, guys.  Yes, I have no problem doing a proper GSQ with feet shoulder width, parallel and neutral spine.  I start in this position and then after prying I "shuffle around and adjust the stance" as Pavel suggests.  Maybe I am misunderstanding what is meant by this, but my read was to make your stance wider.  Thanks.

ctuozzolo, I think you have to start in a position that is right for you. If you've been doing this for a while, then you probably already start in the right position anyway. Your stance doesn't necessarily have to just get wider and I have pretty good hip flexibility, too and find that there's a sweet spot for width and foot position. That's all the shuffling and adjusting is for. For me, I like just hanging out in the bottom position and feeling for any restrictions in my breathing while keeping my torso upright. I tense up and grunt as I come out of the hole, but as long as I don't feel any pinching at the hip, I stay down there a while without prying. I just don't get anything from the prying at this point.

I know Ido Portal has this routine where he pushes out on each knee individually while doing a deep unweighted squat, but I personally don't like the feel for it and am not into trying to becoming flexible for any non-functional purposes.

I would agree that the more mobile you are, the more marginal the benefits of prying, but it’s good maintenance in any case and there are a lot of subtle things you can explore by moving around and prying in the bottom of a squat.
Along these lines, I have healthy shoulder mobility from a few years of weightlifting focus, and most recently swimming.  Halos don't "open me up," so to speak, but I keep them in my warm-up to maintain that mobility.

I just realized that I did some tactical frogs before my S&S today. Probably why prying isn't doing much for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom