all posts post new thread

Programming Improv PTTP and S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Phillipsta3

Level 3 Valued Member
I’ve have looked through the forum several times and looking for a post given by Pavel that gives suggestions for combining PTTP and S&S. My weekly plan for now is train PTTP 2 days a week, 2 days of S&S, and 2 days of long true cardio. I use a heart rate monitor for all cardio and S&S sessions. Is this to few sessions of either program?

You might progress on all three, or possibly only on one or two areas. Hard to say. In general the more things you are pursuing, the slower the progress on each one seems to be the rule of thumb for most of us. Empiricism suggests there is only one way to find out! Give it a whirl, monitor progress, and adjust if needed. *For me* two days of PTTP would be unlikely to be enough volume, but it may be that PTTP and S&S will have enough carryover to each other that you will see progress. If not, you may need to experiment with adding some volume gradually, for example three sets of presses on one of the PTTP days, then reassess. For some people, training anything at all six days a week is too little recovery time. In that case it may be that cutting a running day would be a wise plan. Again, don’t be afraid to try it and find out.

You might progress on all three, or possibly only on one or two areas. Hard to say. In general the more things you are pursuing, the slower the progress on each one seems to be the rule of thumb for most of us. Empiricism suggests there is only one way to find out! Give it a whirl, monitor progress, and adjust if needed. *For me* two days of PTTP would be unlikely to be enough volume, but it may be that PTTP and S&S will have enough carryover to each other that you will see progress. If not, you may need to experiment with adding some volume gradually, for example three sets of presses on one of the PTTP days, then reassess. For some people, training anything at all six days a week is too little recovery time. In that case it may be that cutting a running day would be a wise plan. Again, don’t be afraid to try it and find out.
Thanks for the response. I’ll give it a go and monitor recovery closely

I’ve have looked through the forum several times and looking for a post given by Pavel that gives suggestions for combining PTTP and S&S. My weekly plan for now is train PTTP 2 days a week, 2 days of S&S, and 2 days of long true cardio. I use a heart rate monitor for all cardio and S&S sessions. Is this to few sessions of either program?
I currently follow PTTP and S&S. My weekly schedule is 5x PTTP, 3x S&S. So far so good. Check my log, everything is there.

I currently follow PTTP and S&S. My weekly schedule is 5x PTTP, 3x S&S. So far so good. Check my log, everything is there.
I like this schedule so much more OP.

If I were to run the 2 programs I would run S&S in the morning 3-5 times a week and PTTP in the evenings when I am in a more well fed state.

2 whole days off any REAL training. Some long walks maybe just to get out the house and be in nature for a bit.

Hello,

Is this to few sessions of either program?
As always, it depends. What is your goal ?

If your goal is regular "GPP", then that's fine. However, if your goal is a powerlifting meet or ultrarunning (obviously I take extreme examples, but you get the idea ;) ) then...

Kind regards,

Pet'

If I were to run the 2 programs I would run S&S in the morning 3-5 times a week and PTTP in the evenings when I am in a more well fed state.

2 whole days off any REAL training. Some long walks maybe just to get out the house and be in nature for a bit.
Almost as I actually do. It looks more like this: firstly in the mornign, 3x a week I do S&S (around 0330 LT), then I go to work and do PTTP (somewhere between 0800 and 1000 LT).

Almost as I actually do. It looks more like this: firstly in the mornign, 3x a week I do S&S (around 0330 LT), then I go to work and do PTTP (somewhere between 0800 and 1000 LT).
All we need now is an option to post the Michael Fastbender "perfection" GIF.

Sound like a great plan, especially considering your cadio actitivities!

Quote from @Pavel Macek
Pavel Macek said:
2 days PTTP, 2 days S&S, or
14 days PTTP, 14 days S&S

Note 1: own at least "Simple" standards, and I mean really own.
Note 2: To reap the benefits, you have to keep doing the program for at least couple of months.
The second option is also championed by Dan John in Easy Strength (before S&S came out - so referring to the Program Minimum from ETK).

... and following that, Pavel Macek wrote:
If the goal is to alternate PTTP! and S&S as mentioned in the original post, then:

- train primarily S&S to meet the "Simple" standard, and maintain your barbell skills (e.g. 3x3 with your 5RM once a week), and then train primarily your barbell lifts and maintain the S&S (or do it it other way round)
- and then jump on a program alternating S&S and PTTP! as outlined in the original post, and stay on it for at least couple of months (meaning 6, 12, or longer)

Otherwise just do easy S&S twice a week as a variety day.
From this thread: Kettlebell - S&S and PTTP mix

And here is some experience by @piratebum
Ive posted this elsewhere but I got stronger faster in both S&S and PTTP by alternating every two weeks. And put on quite a bit of muscle compared to doing S&S alone.

I was also doing BJJ 3-5 times a week at the time fwiw.

(…)[I did] 3-5 [sessions] for each depending on the week. PTTP weeks tended to be more. S&S tended to be a little less. I just enjoyed PTTP more and felt it was easier to do compared to S&S.
From his thread: Kettlebell - S&S and PTTP...Good Combo or Overkill?

And another on by him:
[I used] 5/3/2 and bench press. I did the step progression, not sure of the exact name. But basically 4 steps up, 3 down. Etc.

I'd do two weeks then s&s, then continue whatever the progression was like I hadn't taken the two weeks off for s&s if that makes sense.

And to finish this: Your plan of 2+2+2 is actually very much in line with Pavel's recommendations in this article and the adjunct comment section:

Last edited:
Sound like a great plan, especially considering your cadio actitivities!

Quote from @Pavel Macek

The second option is also championed by Dan John in Easy Strength (before S&S came out - so referring to the Program Minimum from ETK).

... and following that, Pavel Macek wrote:

From this thread: Kettlebell - S&S and PTTP mix

And here is some experience by @piratebum

From his thread: Kettlebell - S&S and PTTP...Good Combo or Overkill?

And another on by him:

And to finish this: You plan of 2+2+2 is actually very much in line with Pavel's recommendations in this article and the adjunct comment section:
I had settled on this 2x2x2 plan essentially because I still stay pretty active on my “rest” days. I play basketball fairly intense on 1-2 days a week so I’m trying to make sure I get enough recovery in.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom