all posts post new thread

Old Forum PTTP Military Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Siemen

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I'm one month today into PTTP. My deadlift is going up well. I back cycled once in the deadlift when I got to 100kgx5 mixed grip. Today, I did 95kgx5 double overhand grip. Went up quite well so I have something left. I got to a very hard 45kgx5 on my MP in my first cycle. Now I'm struggling to get 42,5kgx5.

What to do?

Re-read the portions on form in your book.  Also, consider doing a mini cycle on your military press in case your nervous system is shot for some reason.

Remember as well, the two cycles can run independently of each other.  Your MP will always top out more quickly than your deadlift, so you should adjust the 'waves' for the individual movement.

Pttp doesn't give any technique guidance on MP, but pttp pro does, in excellent detail, and last I checked the kindle version is only $3 or so.

How far did you back off after your first cycle, and how long has it been? Definitely treat them as independent cycles. It's also possible that you simply need more volume; Pavel has talked lately about overhead work needing much more volume than bench (see also his 'best press' article).  I would back off again, try a step cycle maybe, and read the pttp pro chapter. If you still get stuck, maybe a different pressing routine is the answer, or switching to bench for a while (see also the bench more to press more article).

I got to a barbell press of 145 at a bodyweight of about 165, and had trouble getting past that. I'll come back to it at some point, but focused on kettlebells for the current cycle.

I started with PTTP but now I've been doing it in the GTG manner for more than a month.
https://www.strongfirst.com/topic/barbell-overhead-press-pttp-vs-gtg/

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom