all posts post new thread

Old Forum PTTP - Where to go from here

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ryanmurray60

First Post
I started the PTTP program at the beginning of the new year with a goal of increasing strength.  I chose Incline Bench and Trap Bar Deadlift as my two lifts.  I have been using a wave cycle with a reset on the incline bench 1 time.

Results over the past 2 months:

Incline Bench

Start:155x5

Last Workout: 225x5

Trap Bar Deadlift

Start: 285x5

Last Workout: 400x5

These numbers are all time best numbers for me (by far) so I am pretty pleased but want to keep things going.

My question is what do I do now? Things are starting to get very heavy, and I can tell my gains are coming to a stall. I feel like I either need to drop the weights significantly and work up again, pick new lift variations, or perhaps go to an "easy strength" type of set up to get a change and keep things moving..... Or perhaps I need to keep moving forward with the same setup?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First of all congratulations.  Those are great gains.

Now to your question. what is your goal?

Do you just want to increase your numbers in those two lifts?

The answer very much depens on your goal. if you just want to increase those lifts you might just start a new cycle and work up again.

Thanks! Using PTTP has been a real eye opener for me. The effectiveness and ease of use has been enlightening.

The goal is to continue to get stronger (overall - not just in those two lifts) and stay healthy.

I totally understand those goals, Ryan, as they are pretty much my goals.  Be strong, move well, and be healthy.  For a long time.  What's more important than that?

But it can make it hard to pick programs sometimes.  Still, given what you mentioned, these are a few ideas I have.

Stick with PTTP for a while, but change up your exercises.  Maybe do zercher squat and overhead press for a bit?  Or front squat and kettlebell presses?  Or traditional deadlift and flat bench press?  I think a variety of combos could be cycled for a long time and you would keep getting all over strong.

Another idea would be a more intensive barbell program.  Your strength numbers are good, and you might really like something like Pavel's 80/20 program.

And if you want to change things up and play with kettlebells, there is always the clean and press focused Right of Passage or the minimal Simple and Sinister.

Let us know what you transition into and how it works out for you.

Ryan, in your place, I'd be reading.  Read PTTP Professional, read Beyond Bodybuilding, read all the blogs here with an eye for those with lifting routines in them, read Deadlift Dynamite - get yourself a good picture of what some of the choices are that are out there for you.  Reading a lot of different programs will give you some idea of what kinds of schedules are written for what kinds of goals.

If you aren't married to the idea of continuing to improve your deadlift, then consider focusing on kettlebells for a while - work on S&S, try the ROP and get your 1RM press up to 1/2 bodyweight, and then you can go back to the bar for a while after that.

Wherever you head, it sounds like you've earned a week of no lifting, just stretching, joint health, walking, and whatever else comes your way, before you start up your next serious pursuit.

-S-

People could help you better if you defined your goals and your givens. To be generally strong generates very general answers.

If you make up your mind in which lifts you want to improve or to learn and how often you can or want to train one could give you better recommendations.

Great job, Ryan!

Switch to a plan with lower frequency and higher volume, e.g. Faleev's version of 5x5 or the modified DeLorme plan from Beyond Bodybuilding.

Thank you all for your responses!  They are very appreciated.

Brian D- Pavels 80/20 program looks awesome!  I had never seen that article before you linked to it for me.  Thank you for your suggestions and the time you took.

Steve Freides- I purchased both Deadlift Dynamite and Beyond Bodybuilding due to your recommendation.   Thank you for the recommendations.   I'm through BB and loved it and will be starting DD tonight.

Leon Kaz - Understood....  My goals are a little vague.  I'm at a point in my life where they unfortunately have to be.  A father of 2 and my family comes first.  Sleep isn't guaranteed, a set time for training isn't guaranteed, so I have to mold my goals around my situation and find a program that fits my current spot in life.  Once I pick a program that seems like it will fit well in my current lifestyle, I create my goals around what that program can do for me.  (hope that makes sense)  Thanks for your time in responding.

Pavel- Thank you for your response and for all your contributions to the strength community.  I have decided to go with Faleev's version of 5x5.  It fits my lifestyle right now and will allow me to focus my goals on powerlifting.  I'm in the process of looking for a powerlifting meet in my area (will be my first) and believe I should put it about a year out to allow all 3 lifts to get to a respectable level.   I hope to be back to you in a years time with an update on my first meet.

Thank you all for your time and contributions!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom