all posts post new thread

Old Forum Push up & pull ups program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Calthrop

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello. I have recently got my leg pulled out of a plaster (broke my bone a few months ago) and since I can't do kettlebell routines, I decided to compromise and try traditional bodyweight program. If You are by any chances familiar with a decent routine covering push ups  and pull ups, could You share it with me? Thanks.

You can make a lot of progress with only pushups and pull-ups. Using dips instead of pushups would take even more pressure off your foot, and Pavel has said before on this forum that dips could serve well as the only press in your program. Another advantage of dips is that you can add weight to focus on low rep strength work. You can do low rep pushups, too, progressive pushups aren’t as simple and straight-forward as weighted dips (just my opinion). Either way (pushups or dips), there are some programs that would work well in your situation.

Here are some ideas:

Rite of Passage: Follow the pressing portion of the Rite of Passage but use dips in place of kettlebell presses. Add weight to each exercise so you’re working with a five-to-eight rep max. Work up from there as described in Enter the Kettlebell.

The Russian Special Forces Ladder to Power: From the Naked Warrior section of Beyond Bodybuilding. While the RoP is designed to build up to a heavy press, the ladders described in BB can be adapted to high-rep work, if that is more in line with your goals. Pavel gives a sample ladder workout using pull-ups and dive-bomber pushups, but he is clear that the program can be adapted to other exercises. Use what you like, but again, dips might put less pressure on your leg.

Alternating Chins and Dips: At the risk of repeating the programs above, Steve Maxwell has an old article on his site that might be of interest to you. Here’s a linked excerpt from the article: “Once upon a time, I obtained a severe foot injury in BJJ and for a time was unable to tolerate the slightest amount of weight on the ankle and foot. Thus I was limited to a steady diet of chin-ups and dips–back and forth and back and forth again–sometimes up to 20 minutes!” The program he describes isn’t as specific as Pavel’s programs above, so you’re better off choosing one of those if you want stricter guidelines. But I threw that link in because your post reminded me of the article.

Grease the Groove: Do one-arm pushups and pull-ups GTG style, if you have regular access to a pull-up bar. You probably know to look at The Naked Warrior for details on GTG.

I hope that helps and wish you a speedy recovery!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom