all posts post new thread

Old Forum Q. for Pavel on Weighted KB Pull-Ups w/ S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mbdrlee

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello Pavel and All,

"Before anyone gets angry for me messing with S&S", I would like to ask about integrating weighted pull-ups with S&S for my military needs.  This topic has been addressed for unweighted pull-ups http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/ss-and-pullups/

http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/adding-to-ss/

However, I'd like to know the official take on this subject from Pavel.

I would like to progress start and progress via 26, 35, 53 lbs etc. without using GTG due to lack of time.

My question is

1) I am aiming for strength, so where do insert the weighted pull-ups in S&S-- alternate  them w/TGUs, or do them before or after TGUs?

2) What is the best rep and set scheme in accordance with S&S principles:

-I was thinking ladder 3x (1,2,3) and keeping it like that while for a period of time before increasing weight

-or 3x3 ?

Thank you kindly in advance,

Mitchell

Mitch, I'm not Pavel, obiously, but I did use S&S with weighted pullups when I did. What I did is that I just kept my reps in the pullups around 10 and kept varying weight and repscheme (5x2, 2x5, 3x3, 2x(1,2,3), 6 singles). It ended with one dark night me taking out the 24kg and doing two sets of five reps thinking man it is hard today only to find when I came in that I was using the 32kg. Wich is about where I've been when I focused on my pullups.

Mitch, do your pullups in a separate sessions to spare your grip.  Do pullups three times a week (ladders are good) and S&S three times a week.  Ideal spacing for your grip would be pullups in the PM and S&S the next morning.

I practice my weighted dips/pullups/pistols routine (mostly in form of ladders) twice a week doing S&S in the rest 4 days. It works very well.

I'm about to try exactly what Piotr suggests with 4 S&S and 2 P/P/P days.  Thanks for raising the topic and the info.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom