all posts post new thread

Old Forum Q on bb military press hand position

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JediMind

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi, I saw the strongfirst barbell exercises on youtube. What is the hand position for the bb military press. Is it little more than shoulder width and bringing the scapulae the together?

Thank you

Here’s a good article on the Military Press that has some good pointers on grip width and some interesting thoughts on the shoulder blades. Take a look. I believe that StrongFirst teaches a packed shoulder, which is slightly different than what Bret recommends in his article, or what Rippetoe recommends HERE. Try both out, see what feels safer and stronger.

Ya, you want from your forearm vertical from both front/side view. Make sure bar is good spot as to keep wrist locked and vertical.

Andy, I  follow Brett's idea on shoulder positioning. Seen Rippetoe's various videos on military presses too. Pavel don't agree with jerk press or torso press. Thank you.

Eric, " Forearm straight" could be the key term. Thanks.

Still not clear about the grip width on the video.

Grip is just outside shoulder. If it was closer you would jam yourself when the bar is on the chest. Watch 70's big " 3 press fixes". Save yourself frustration.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom