all posts post new thread

Old Forum Q on elevated heels or toes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JediMind

Level 5 Valued Member
Comrades, how does this help putting a book under the heel when doing pistols and under the balls of feet when doing deads?

I recently found my left ham and glute slacks during deads. Putting a 1/2 inch book under the left foot feels right. Is this a ok move?

Thankyou very much

You're Simply  out of position. Your starting with to much knee flexion and allowing your hams to do their job correctly. I pull with a lot of quad and don't care much really because posterior is still working hard.   If you try pulling from mid shin and begin the pull with knees very close to vertical the only way to start the movement is with hams,  you'll feel them fire instantly.   If not you your knees are forward of the bar

comrade eric, very true. i realized this later that the left knee was more flexed. i think tratining with only good bilateral exercises i can fix the imbalances and the firing problems.

do you know why it helps to put book under the heel when doing pistols? does the ankles have to do anything about this?

are there any good drills  to wake the glutes up completely before starting with heavier exercises? hw about bb hip thrust?

If you have dorsiflexion issues, raising your heel makes a pistol easier because the ankle doesn't have to bend as much.  Best to solve the dorsiflexion issue and do your pistols with level feet.

-S-

How are you glutes  lacking? I think this whole idea of muscles being asleep is nuts,  let's not forget many great athletes set records in an array of sports before any of this news was around. I don't buy it for a second

Eric: That doesn't mean it isn't true. Athletes set records before the idea of periodization, sport-specific training... or steroids, too, doesn't mean those aren't effective.

Anyhow, activation work has been very helpful for me in some cases; and 'awakening' my glutes (so to speak) was pretty instrumental in taking my deadlift from ~2.5x to ~3x bodyweight.

Now, the idea of 'sleepy' or inactive muscles is a bit of a buzzword today and possibly over-prescribed, true.

Jedimind: I'd advise swings before DL, and possibly light one-leg deadlifts on the leg you're having problems with. Your form might need a checkup, too.

Comrade Steve, i was hoping for your input. Can you mention some good dorsiflexion exercises? Thanks.

Comrade Eric, I have noticed this firing issue with my biceps also during OAP. I do 2 or 3 biceps curls with 15 kg and do OAP like a mountain climber. I realized glutes don't fire like it should over a 120 kg deads when I did a 120kg bb hip thrust. But I reckon isolation is the note here. Thanks.

Comrade Aris, swings is the medicine. Do you think 2 arm swings can help with strength imbalances? What would you recommend? Thanks.

For dorsiflexion on the pistol, I'd recommend working on general ankle mobility and perhaps some resisted dorsiflexion against a light band. Also, working up to comfortable flat-footed full (two legged) squats.

I'd suggest two arm swings for activation purposes and light one arm swings and contralateral one leg deadlifts to help balance things out, as part of your warmup/cooldown.

JediMind, for dorsiflextion, there is the "stick" drill I learned at the FMS.  The idea of it is to deal with reseating or repatterning of how your talus glides.  Google "talus dorsiflextion" and you'll find some things to read or better still, talk to an FMS about it.

I also perform a very simple stretch that helps me.  The one I've usually seen recommend is to put the ball of your foot on a step and let your heel drop but I don't find that does what I need.  I prefer to stand in front of something roughly waist height, e.g., a kitchen counter or my front porch railing.  I stand with the heel/ankle I'm trying to stretch a little bit behind me and try to put my weight back on that heel - the further back you place that foot, the more of a challenge it is to get the heel on the ground.  For me, the sweet spot is where you can already get the heel on the ground but only just, and you then try to relax your weight into that heel, getting a little bit more stretch.  A few reps, perhaps moving the foot slightly further back as your range of motion increases.  I feel it in the bottom of my calf and it makes my pistols better.

Hope that helps.

-S-

I do understand science of lifting has led to greater understanding of the physiological system. However, what I see from most who's glutes don't fire is simply a lack of hip extension with intent  people swing and explode yet they pull completely lazy above the knee. Original poster,  anyway you could post video of both?  Also,  seems glutes are the only muscle more it less that people can't fire. Seeing as its the driver of locomotion this astonished my understanding of hip extension and basic bipedal locomotion. As a movement in general I cannot find a more blatant example of finding a problem and providing the fix as the best hip thrust.  In 20 years nobody will remember that garbage.

And listen,  I'm not anybody who knows it a and this as well as all my post are written with no I'll feel towards any comment or person. By all means,  if it floats your boat paddle away,  I do dumb s*** each day without question.

I'm fairly certain coaches will still be using the 'glute bridge' in a couple decades. It's only gotten more popular (if a bit overused, maybe) since its inception... what, 5 years ago? 6? And it's a pretty useful exercise.

Lack of extension is one issue. Anterior pelvic tilt is another. Personally, my problem was that my glutes and hams were simply overpowered by my quads and erectors; so I found it very hard to use them while lifting, consciously or not.

And yes it is very common. Tight hip flexors, inactive glutes and abs, overactive erectors, internally rotated shoulders... and that group of problems is caused by being at rest (and with poor posture) too often. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Com Aris, I give time to unilateral exercises but aim is to fix issues with slow and heavy bilateral exercises and budging. I agree about the glute bridge and rest.  Thanks.

Com Steve, it helps. In fact i used to do them against the wall before pistols. There are too many good stuff to remember. Thanks.

Com Eric, except for facing a little difficulty reading your post I think your points wise and always aimed accurately.I'll get a high tech phone and a stand very soon. Thanks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom