all posts post new thread

Old Forum Rapid Grip Development

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Swann 1

Level 6 Valued Member
I have a consistent problem with lifting; namely, that my grip fails.

Deadlifting, 1H Swings, Snatches.... I always have PLENTY of strength left in the bank when my grip starts to fail.  I really need to bring my grip strength up.  People have told me to just train heavy and my grip "will quickly catch up."  That hasn't happened.  My grip has obviously improved, but not quickly.  I can't focus on the hip drive of 1H Swings, because my attention is diverted to my grip lest I send the bell flying.

So.... any ideas on the quickest and most effective way(s) to really build up grip strength?  I've tried simply lifting heavier, weighted carries, dead hangs from a bar, etc.  These have all helped but not to the level that I would have hoped.  Perhaps I'm being impatient, but this is becoming a significant problem in my progress.

Any ideas?

Many of us have found that working our swings when our deadlifts have grip problems can help, and working deadlifts when our swings have grip problems can help.

For kettlebell swings specifically, if you can do one rep in good form, just work on singles and gradually increase volume, taking as much rest as needed.  Likewise, if, e.g., you can do 5 reps but not 10, then do sets of 5 with sufficient rest that the next set of 5 is also good.

Start where you are, give yourself an appropriate challenge to your grip, and rest as much as needed between sets, days between lifts, etc.

If you could post some specific numbers, e.g., a bit about yourself (age, weight, height, etc.), plus where you are in your swings, and where your deadlift is, that might help us give better, more specific advice.

-S-

I think Faleev recommended picking up and holding a heavy partial deadlift. I'm not sure but I know I've seen the recommendation somewhere. Grips is however always something that can get a bit of intention. Grip and abs.

Thank you, gentlemen.
Steve, I am 39 y/o, 5'10" and approximately 215 lbs.
I pull 300 for 5x5 smoothly, but don't have more weight than that to know my max.
I can 2H Swing the 40kg for reps to a full 'standing plank' and 1H Swing the 32kg for about 5 reps before grip becomes dicey.

Try not to keep the grip as tight for a whole movement. Rather try to apply the grip during the lifting phase (the arc on way to the top), than get loose at the top and during the swing down, then apply the strong grip on the bottom when you "catch" the momentum and swing the bell up. When the grip is relaxed just keep the hendle in the hook with the fingers.

You can also try to work on the grip doing some bottoms up clean, carries, squats, presses even with smaller bells.

Piotr's advice is excellent for conserving your grip.

Some extra volume with lighter one-arm swings after the heavier stuff; warming up with a double overhead grip on DL and/or holding the last rep of your last set for time; and hanging from a pullup bar for time at the end of your training session should all help improve your grip fairly quickly.

Swann1,

you ask for 'rapid grip development': which speed would satisfy you? Have you checked this expectation?

I am not aware of a short cut for grip strength (many others would surely be interested). Some need a year getting from a 1 to a 2 CoC.

Your perceived 'weak' grip might also cover other less obvious links.

Just as an wild example: your body might show that you are not ready yet to deadlift e.g. 400 by losing your hands, hence protecting you.

How long are you working on your grip and how, how intense/how frequently? I noticed that my grip strength decreased after doing too many reps too often...

finally the usual question: what is your goal?

about: "I pull 300 for 5×5 smoothly, but don’t have more weight than that to know my max." (BW 215)

Many means to make that difficulty you have...

- one arm

- one arm, one leg, with the barbell or your kettlebell(s)

- halted

- from deficit

- Jefferson, behind the back-DL (different angles)

I've seen some amazing results from nerve release by an ART practitioner. You might also want to look at what's happening around your neck/first rib as compression in that area can affect grip pretty easily.

I have had good results from dead hangs (no thumbs) from a pull up bar.  Hold for 15 to 30 seconds, repeat 5-6 times or every time you walk by the bar.

I joined the forum to ask a similar thing. I am doing S & S and, having a long lay-off from lifting, I cannot grip my 24kg very well for the one-handed swings which stops me hiking them much.

I have thought about putting some surgical tape on the handle to help grip, but I imagine the response from you guys would be, "Don't even think about it..."

I am concerened for the walls of my apartment, though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom